Re-assamble Carbs & airfilter box

Jrutgers
Hi all cb giros n boys.
Is it really supposed to be practically impossible to re-assemble the carbs?
It's as if the air filter box (don't know Eng.name) is way to large?

I have seen others replacing the original air filter box with individual filter/carb and that seems way more easy to get fitted, but where does the hoses from the air box to the engine go with that solution?

It's spring soon in Sweden so I really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance

Jr

Re: Re-assamble Carbs & airfilter box

Piute

      Check out the F.S.M. on the main page and you'll be able to see were those hoses go,
         That air box is a pain to get on but has to be done and after the 3rd time will be a breeze
      extra hand helps get the 1st bolt started,been a while since I've had to mess with .
                              Good Luck be patient with yourself

Re: Re-assamble Carbs & airfilter box

What year, and model bike are you working on?

Re: Re-assamble Carbs & airfilter box

seestheday
I have an 81 and have no issues getting the carbs back in. You just need to know how to do it.

What year is your bike?
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: Re-assamble Carbs & airfilter box

Jrutgers
Thanks for your answers! The bike is a 1981 F.
I will be not be angry over this but just work them on having time in my side :-)

It's almost in place now, but its hard to get the carbs the last 5mm into the hoses, but it might work today with new energy brought to the garage.

So to my second question. If I remove the original air filter and put in individual filter per carb.
What do I do with the ventilation on the engine? ( the hoses that goes from filter to engine)

Thanks

Re: Re-assamble Carbs & airfilter box

seestheday
Is the problem that your intake boots are super hard so you can't get the carbs seated? That is common and likely means you'll eiher need to recondition the boots, or get new ones. If you don't you will have bad vacuum leak issues.

As for pods, I strongly recommend getting it running well before putting pods on. They are notoriously difficult to tune on these cv carbs.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: Re-assamble Carbs & airfilter box

Ditto on what Sees says. As for getting the carbs on, try using some spray silicone lube. You can get it at any auto parts store. Also heating the rubber boots with a heat gun will sometimes help.

Re: Re-assamble Carbs & airfilter box

Jrutgers
Got them on by heating and using soap/water solution. Finally!
The bike has been so easy to work I'm so far, splitting the motor, changing the gear box, new boxes in fork, all went extremely easy, and I even told my wife how clever and well thought through the architecture is on this 30 +year old bike. Not that she's interested but I had to let her know that I was excited over it, and then I get stuck with what should be the most easy thing.

I spent two hours on the carbs and the air chamber and I got a little upset. Then it was on!
Thanks for letting me know the probbs with pods..

All that's left now is to fix the front brake cylinder and then I should be on the road!

Again, thanks for your input!

Jr
1981 CB 750 F