Rebuilding a stator. Anyone ever try this?

Rebuilding a stator. Anyone ever try this?

trapper
So, the stator in my 81 750c is gone. Looking around and, DAMN these things are pricey. I can get a rebuilt for about 135 bucks but, don't have it. So, I found a few things on rebuilding them yourself. Figure I'm gonna give it a shot. If I fail, I'm no worse than I am at the moment so, what do I have to lose right?
Anyone ever try this? Is it as easy as it seems? Or am I in for a whole mess of trouble?
Thoughts, opinions and advice welcome.
It ain't a custom till you have customized it yourself.

1981 CB750c (current daily ride and build)
1980 GL500 (Stripped and rebuilding)
1981 CM450 (Stripped and rebuilding)

Re: Rebuilding a stator. Anyone ever try this?

rich
Try Ebay for a used one. I got an rotor, stator, and stator cover from 3 different bikes all for less than $150. Look for the ones where they say they've tested the parts and say they will  accept returns, also look over the seller's rating and comments from other buyers. There are lot of people parting bikes out on there - it's worth a shot. You can use the stator from any 79-82 DOHC (750 or 900) or a SOHC 650. They're all the same.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K