Reinforcing side covers?

ahshockey
I just purchased a 78 CB750K.  The side covers still have excellent paint on them, but they are starting to crack around the stress points where you pull them off.

I am considering reinforcing them with fiberglass on the back side.  Has anyone had any luck in doing this?  Any other ideas to save otherwise good covers?

Re: Reinforcing side covers?

blackhawkrider
I dont know too much about this but Shabba mentioned ways to keep them newer like in the article titled "side covers needed for an '81 cb 750 k" about half way down the page. IMO you can probably reeforce them with fiberglass. Also harbor frieght had plastic you can fuse broken plastic panels back together I don't know if anyone has tried them whos on this forum but I have heard other say it works well

Re: Reinforcing side covers?

ahshockey
I was able to save my '78 cb750k side covers.  I had completely lost the upper left corner (including tab) of the fuse box side.  The broken portion on that side was not visible once installed.  The oil tank side was cracked and very weak on the lower side.  Now with the oil tank side repaired, you can see the hairline cracks, but from a distance you have to look for it.

I put plastic weld (found at NAPA and other parts stores) directly on and behind the cracked portions.  I then placed fiberglass with its resin on the upper third and lower third of the backside of both side covers...reinforcing all tab areas and the portions that might have stress.  The fiberglass cloth was cut to fit the entire width.  It came out very well and is stronger than before.

I now use an oil based wax, as recommended by Shabba, on the tabs and the grommets.  Now they slip on and off more smoothly.