Repairing a broken shock mount. Or hardtailing Rich's Bike.

Repairing a broken shock mount. Or hardtailing Rich's Bike.

Rich brought over his 78 K model with a broken shock mount for me to repair.

I wanted to just hardtail it, but Rich said he had too many gravel, and dirt roads around him. Hummm Maybe that explains the Moto-X shocks. Anyway here is the donor piece I carefully cut off a discarded frame section after hardtailing another bike.

I had an audience while doing this, but I guess the whole show was kind of boring.

Maybe if I had been installing a hardtail it would have been more exciting.
I then carefully cut the broken piece off the frame, and cleaned it up.

I then clamped on the donor piece, and welded it on.

Now a little paint, and good to go.
Oh, I also welded some thing-a-ma-jigs to his swingarm, so that it would not sit so high with the Moto-X shocks.

Re: Repairing a broken shock mount. Or hardtailing Rich's Bike.

Those are mighty pretty beads. Me thinks you've done this before.

That was an awesome donor piece. Packrats will rule the world one day.

Re: Repairing a broken shock mount. Or hardtailing Rich's Bike.

I did do it once before.  I only used a 110 volt mig welder, and not a tig welder like the guys on that other forum say must be used, so I hope they don't fall off.

Re: Repairing a broken shock mount. Or hardtailing Rich's Bike.

rich
That is some good looking welding

I try to keep the motocross jumps to a minimum, just case

I'm trying to clean up around here today while the weather's nice. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: Repairing a broken shock mount. Or hardtailing Rich's Bike.

Cool.

Re: Repairing a broken shock mount. Or hardtailing Rich's Bike.

THAT ?? is with a 110 welder?? Now,that's impressive. What machine is it? And I'm assuming you are using gas and not FC wire.

Re: Repairing a broken shock mount. Or hardtailing Rich's Bike.

It's a Miller matic 140 with 75/25. It's the crappiest welder I have ever used. When making a weld with it, it is a crap shoot if it is going to hold a stable arc, or not. Had it rebuilt once under warranty already. Could not have run 6 feet of bead with it in the 2.5 years I have had it. My buddy has a Lincoln 140, and Blue Star has a Hobart 140, and they will both weld rings around my Miller 140.

Re: Repairing a broken shock mount. Or hardtailing Rich's Bike.

Huh,that's interesting. It's a shame that welder acts up. I left 110v welders because I never was able to get a decent amount of penetration. But those pictures there look fantastic.

Maybe 110v welder technology has advanced since I last had one...oh, 18 years ago?

And y'all really have 75/25? Everyone here carries 70/30. I figured 70/30 was just the industry standard. Interesting what is available in different areas.