Replacing the Head Gasket

Griffin
I think I need to replace my head gasket. When the bike was warming up I saw a puff of exhaust come out of the side of the engine. You can see by this picture it's been happening for awhile.

Question before I get into this and pull the motor. 1980 cb750k with 31776 miles.

I've never broken down a motorcycle engine so this is pretty intimidating. I have the shop manual and a Clymer to reference. Is this something a first timer should do on his own? I did do it on a single cylinder lawn tractor once. Can I just replace the single head gasket or are there more gaskets I should do? Do I need to have any machineing done in case of warping?  Does anyone have a link to a gasket they previously purchased for a DOHC that is working for them?

Thanks in advance, what I might need the most is confidence.

Am I better off dropping the engine off at a shop?

Dave Arnold
Xclusive Sites - Web Development - xclusivesites.com
ISSA Certified Personal Trainer - onlineptconnect.com/xclusivesites/
Instagram @phparray

Re: Replacing the Head Gasket

First thing, throw the Clymer manual away!!!!!!!! Second, changing the head gasket is not hard. Read up on it in the factory service manual, and take pictures as you take it apart. The main thing you want to watch for is that you do not break the seal that the cylinder base gasket has. If you do, you will end up pulling the cylinders to replace it. As for machine work, you will need to check the surface of the head for warpage. You can do this with a straight edge and feeler gauges, or take it to a machine shop and have them check it for you.

Re: Replacing the Head Gasket

Griffin
Throw it away man that's rough!  I am reviewing the shop manual it is appears to be more detailed for sure.  I'm going to try it.  Not sure where to buy the new gasket.  I found a few from UK sellers on ebay but this is the only one I've found from the US.

I saw you comment about Cycle X on another thread.  I suppose that's Cycle Exchange. I couldn't find my model there, looks like they only work with 74-78.

Any other sources I should check?

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 2:49 PM, TOOLS1 [via Honda CB750'S] <[hidden email]> wrote:
First thing, throw the Clymer manual away!!!!!!!! Second, changing the head gasket is not hard. Read up on it in the factory service manual, and take pictures as you take it apart. The main thing you want to watch for is that you do not break the seal that the cylinder base gasket has. If you do, you will end up pulling the cylinders to replace it. As for machine work, you will need to check the surface of the head for warpage. You can do this with a straight edge and feeler gauges, or take it to a machine shop and have them check it for you.

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Replacing-the-Head-Gasket-tp4059905p4059909.html
To unsubscribe from Replacing the Head Gasket, click here.
NAML

Instagram @phparray

ISSA Certified Personal Trainer - onlineptconnect.com/xclusivesites/
Instagram @phparray

Re: Replacing the Head Gasket

You are going to need more then the head gasket to do this.