1981 CB750K - Ruby - 90K km's

1234 ... 9

1981 CB750K - Ruby - 90K km's

seestheday
This post was updated on .
Thought I should start a build thread for my high mileage girl.

No name yet, plan on putting in some time this winter fixing up all nagging problems.

Pics to come soon.

Current plan:
- Finish cleaning up & organizing the garage so I have a decent workspace.  Built some big shelves already and got rid of a lot of crap.  Bought a heater, so my garage won't be brutally cold to work in.

- get fresh compression numbers and various tests
- itemize all issues
- figure out where all oil and air leaks are
- formulate a plan of attack

Figure I'll need to pull the engine at some point to address all of the oil leak issues.  Might buy myself an engine stand to make it easier to work on.

Things off the top of my head I need to fix: oil leaks, busted gaskets,

Depending on time I might finally start to do cosmetic work including a paint job, new lights, etc.

I should have all the tools I need, but don't have access to any welding or machining stuff.

Edit: pics :-)

Here is the bike at the start

Pic of the cleaned out garage
pic of the whole garage

Work area - would love to get an engine stand - not sure if I need to beef up that pine table to hold the weight
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: 1981 CB750K - no name yet - 90K km's

seestheday
Just got a call from the honda dealership here in Waterloo.  The starter clutch springs have come in and I'll pick them up on the way home from work.

That should fix the can of marbles sound I've been starting to get intermittently when I start it up.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: 1981 CB750K - no name yet - 90K km's

    I think you should ask Santa for a camera,

Re: 1981 CB750K - no name yet - 90K km's

easyrider12
The "Carpe diem" project.   Hey sees, good to see another canuck here in build mode.   I guess i'm still in the tear down phase, but hope to get something done during the winter.  Tomorrow may be the last chance for a ride here in NB, i'll probably be working under a tarp between snowstorms from here on out  ha!   good luck EH! and post some pics.  I may have to follow your lead on the oil leaks, my valve cover and oil pan are starting to leak slightly.
most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handelbars to the saddle.

Re: 1981 CB750K - no name yet - 90K km's

Lucky 1
Good plan to get your workspace squared away.

I see many on these forums still working down on the floor.

Now send us a photo of the work benches in your clean workspace.

BTW....Those are starter clutch springs,  not "clutch springs" right?
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: 1981 CB750K - no name yet - 90K km's

seestheday
The springs that go in the starter.  They were like $2.50 each or something like that.

Honestly I'm still cleaning the garage.  Will send pics shortly.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

My cb750 video site

Re: 1981 CB750K - no name yet - 90K km's

fasteddie55ca
I have a brand new nos right side ( rear brake) pipes for a cb750 k  these pipes are discontued from honda
i bought them for my bike years ago when i had a cb 750 k and never used them, and they will not fit my 1981 750 custom. I think i payed 200.00 for them maybe 18 years ago. if you know any one that might be interested in making there bike look new again , have them send me a email
thanks

Re: 1981 CB750K - no name yet - 90K km's

rrgunslinger
seestheday wrote
Just saying...
American by birth. Cowboy by choice! Vero Beach, FL http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/grandpaslinger/HD%20Road%20Glide/IMAG0046.jpg

Re: 1981 CB750K - no name yet - 90K km's

seestheday
Haha, I have thought about getting tires like that.  Too bad studs are illegal in Ontario.

If I was going to do some ice riding I'd want a nice light dirt bike though...
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: 1981 CB750K - no name yet - 90K km's

alfa750
Banned User
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: 1981 CB750K - no name yet - 90K km's

Studs are illegal in Ontario?!?! Thats a shocker. I figured they be a big deal up there actually.

Glad to see another bike in the build thread!

Go Canada!

Sorry about the pic. I googled ''canada ride'' and got this. It was too good to pass up. No offense I hope. I got a chuckle outta it

Re: 1981 CB750K - no name yet - 90K km's

seestheday
This post was updated on .
Lol at that pic.  Yep studs are illegal on the road.  They tear up roads.  I think there are some northern communities where they are allowed at certain times of the year, but in general they are banned from the road.

My cb750 video site

I would have replied no offense taken "southern man", but i'm not one for stirring things up lol
most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handelbars to the saddle.

Re: 1981 CB750K - no name yet - 90K km's

free2ride
seestheday wrote
Too bad studs are illegal in Ontario.
don't tell my wife that she'll kick me out
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: 1981 CB750K - no name yet - 90K km's

Thats too funny!  haha....

Re: 1981 CB750K - no name yet - 90K km's

Hey Sees I got a deal for you. How about I fix your bike, and you clean out the Toolshed?

My cb750 video site

Re: 1981 CB750K - Ruby - 90K km's

seestheday
Gave her a wash and started to pull her apart today.

Here are the compression test numbers:
Cold

Warm

Noticed that the #4 plug was oil fouled

Wet

Spec is 170 +/- 14 psi

Definitely looks like I have some problems that I should address.  Don't have access to tools for a leakdown test.

My cb750 video site