Running Rough and Stalling

mamalo65
I am still having problems with me 78K and getting it to idle correctly with out the choke being pulled out. I am at my wits end trying to get this machine running smooth.
It sounds really good at high idle with choke out but when you push in the choke it wants to die. Even at operating temp.

The carbs are clean and rebuilt, cleaned the tank, fuel filter, the vavles have been reset, new points and condensers, spark plugs, new oil and filter. The enigine is really strong. No smoke no backfire.
I cannot set the timing because I cannot get it to idle properly or even close. I have to have the rpms at least 2500 or more just to start taking the choke off. As soon as the choke is off the bike starts sputtering like it wants to die and eventually does.

I am at the point of being lost. Sorry to sound like an idiot

Vavles? Not enough pressure in the carbs? Plug boots?

I am willing to try almost anything to get her going.
Just wanted ya'lls opinion don't want to waste money if I don't have to.
Still learning but I refuse to give up.
Thanks again for your help.

Mamalo

Re: Running Rough and Stalling

Sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak. Check the rubber intake boots, and that all the screws on the carbs are tight. Also look for vacuum lines.

Re: Running Rough and Stalling

mamalo65
Tools you are so smart.

Ok checked the connector boots and realize some of the rings where not doing such a good job.
I bought some simple hose clamps and put them on an what do you know running much better.
I ordered all new boot rings and boots.
I started to retime her and she is running pretty good. But I am having an issue with 2&3 I think i need to adjust the spark advancer and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to do this? I am not really getting what the manual is saying.

I am not able to get the f mark on 2&3 lined up during timing. 1&4 are tight.

Thank guys for all your help.
Mamalo

Re: Running Rough and Stalling

Well thanks. Usually when I hear that phrase there is another adjective in it
About the timing; The advance works both sets of points at the same time, so I would not think it was the problem. I am not sure how you are timing it. You do know that the points for 2-3 are on a separate plate that is mounted to the main plate that 1-4 are adjusted with. You set the 1-4 set (which is on the left) and tighten the main plate down. then loosen the second plate that holds 2-3 (the one on the right). Adjust them and tighten the plate down. That should do it.