Need a little help.

mamalo65
I've got a 78 750 k model got it a couple monthes ago. Stiripped her down paid a mechanic shop to rebuild the carbs. She ran fairly well then I think the carbs started acting up. She will not idle with out the choke out all way. Took the bike back to the shop. They said it was not the carbs. Now I am not the sharpest tool in the box but it could not be anything but the carbs right?

I think they are trying to play me because I am female, Can do most mechanical work on my truck and boat motor and am still learning the bike. I am willing to try anything to get her running right.

What do ya'll think I should try, I really don't want to take her back to a mechanic, unless you guys think the carbs are too complicated for me to tackle. Please let me know what you think.

It about 80 degrees out this week would really, really like tp ride.

Thanks for helping.

Mamalo
Mamalo

Re: Need a little help.

You can do it. Don't doubt yourself. The carbs seem complicated but are not that bad. Pop off the airbox and drain the bowls. Take them off and make sure none of the jets fell out.

My suspicion is that they did not fully clean everything. It is not uncommon as most mechanics do not realize that the idle jets can be removed. My suggestion is to pull the carbs off and pull the small idle jets out. Check the holes and I bet some might be ever so slightly clogged. Get a thin strand of copper wire and gently clean things out and then spray with carb cleaner.
Once you got the carbs back on and before you put on the airbox, connect the fuel and turn it on and open the throttle a couple times. There is a brass post at the opening of each carb. These posts should squirt a jet of fuel into the carb throat. If not, then the accel pump needs to be cleaned as well. Maybe check this before you pull the carbs off.

Re: Need a little help.

mamalo65
Thanks Re-Run.

I cleared my kitchen table last night and am going to start to tackle them tonight.

Going to take my time and do it right.

I am not taking my bike to a mechanics shop again if I can help it.

Thanks again for the encourgement.

Mamalo
Mamalo

Re: Need a little help.

You can do it. Just take some time and if you need, pics as you go.

Re: Need a little help.

wvhardtail
I agree with re-run. Not that hard. May I suggest that you purchase a small in-line fuel filter. The screens in the petcock aren't that great and it takes very little to clog a carb or cause problems. You may want to take the petcock apart and clean it as well. Mine was horrible and all gummy. The petcock is pretty easy as well. Like re-run said, take pictures as you go along.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Re: Need a little help.

mamalo65
Thanks so much for pic idea that's really smart and easy. Didnt get to start on them yet, got a chance to work so overtime. Bike $$$$$!!! Going to try and get to them this week. Ya'll have been so helpful thanks so much.
Mamalo

Re: Need a little help.

Bill
Check the inside of the gas tank for rust.  Even if looks OK, drain and flush it out.  It doesn't take much dirt sitting on the bottom to clog idle circuits (jets).

Sounds like the original card job was fine and dirt plugged the idle jets.  (Since you said it ran fine for a while).  I'll step out on a limb here, the original carbs may have been fine.....clogged from corossion/dirt from the tank, as now?.  Idle with the choke on enrichens the mix.......likely forcing fuel to flow through the main jets because the idle jets are clogged.

You will need to clean/dissasemble the carbs.....and clean the idle jets/air bleed circuits, what sounds like the problem to me.  I think corrosion/dirt from the tank has plugged the idle circuits.

Good Luck Girl!

Just a thought, I may be all wrong.  Sounds like a dirty/corroded tank plugging idle jets.

-bill

Re: Need a little help.

andrew
if you wanted if your local that is you could bring the carbs to me and i can ultrasonic clean them for $80 i do my CB 750 carbs every year and my bike runs like a top. I'm located in Milton Ontario,Canada i might be be able to help you out a little on the cost to get you running.

Re: Need a little help.

andrew
my e-mail

andrewrobertstl@hotmail.com

Re: Need a little help.

mamalo65
Sorry I took so long to get back. Been working OT.

I really apperciate you wanting to do the carbs. I think the commute might be a lil long.

I am in Houston, Texas and even in Texas speak That's a fair piece to drive.

By the way got them done and the bike is still running rough. I think #2 and #3 are firing. Not sure yet.

Thanks again.
Mamalo

Re: Need a little help.

Walt Williams
Hi Mamlo, I'm new on here was reading your on going problem with your rough running bike and all the carb work you have done witch sounds like the first place to start on such a problem. Just throwing this out there because I have 80 custom with similar symptoms.  Did the ultrasonic thing ,value adjustment, timing adjustment, still had to keep the coke pulled out just a tough to keep it running smother.  Anyway finally got it to a good honest mechanic .................. it had low compression in the 90's ( I never check this *x*!**X)  he said not enough vacum for  the carbs to run correctly. the bike doesnt smoke so he thought the valves were the reason and needed rebuilding at least the upper end. ...  food for thought.  good luck

Walt

Re: Need a little help.

mamalo65
Thanks Walt I haven't gotten that far yet. But I am almost there already found a guy to do it.
I had air leaking around the boot connectors. She is running pretty good. Have a few more lil kinks to work out.

Thanks so much for the help.
Mamalo