Sources for rebuilt MC engines or Engine re-builders

Sources for rebuilt MC engines or Engine re-builders

Ghost-Flame
I am considering having my engine rebuilt on my 750 dohc. What would I be looking at roughly for a rebuilt engine? What the cost to have it rebuilt?

Do You know of any rebuilders you would reccomend to rebuild my engine?

Or engine suppliers that would do an exchange?

Should I get the list of parts and do it my self, I've never really done a rebuild on an engine? I guess now is a good time to learn
1980 CB750C DOHC
It's never too late to start something new!

Re: Sources for rebuilt MC engines or Engine re-builders

If it has good compression don't worry about it (I'm having da-ja-vu). At the worst it would need rings, and a valve job which is not that hard.

Re: Sources for rebuilt MC engines or Engine re-builders

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Sources for rebuilt MC engines or Engine re-builders

Satanic?! Really?! Nice. Quaint lil mom and pop setup im sure.

Re: Sources for rebuilt MC engines or Engine re-builders

Ghost-Flame
Ghost-Flame wrote
I am considering having my engine rebuilt on my 750 dohc. What would I be looking at roughly for a rebuilt engine? What the cost to have it rebuilt?

Do You know of any rebuilders you would reccomend to rebuild my engine?

Or engine suppliers that would do an exchange?

Should I get the list of parts and do it my self, I've never really done a rebuild on an engine? I guess now is a good time to learn
Okay, I pulled the engine out of the frame over the weekend and got my first good look at the engine 720 degrees. It looks like I have a leak at the drive unit and sprocket, it could be coming from the bolt and seal that holds the sprocket on the shaft. There is oil everywhere. I hope its not the main seal. the valve cover is leaking and it appears to this novice that the head is not true. The gasket seam gap appears larger on the left (leaking side than on the right(non leaking side). When I started it up I noticed that it burned a little oil. 36,000 miles.

In taking the the bike apart it appears that the bike has been abused. the oil looked like tar. I'm thinking about a complete rebuild cuz of the suspected main seal leak. I found a machine shop that will do the mill work on an MC engine. I am going to do the disassemble.
What is a detailed list of parts that he will need to make his measurements? from both the top and bottom of the engine. I'll need to know what new parts he'll need for measuring and what old parts need to be milled.

Here's the main seal what do you think?

1980 CB750C DOHC
It's never too late to start something new!

Re: Sources for rebuilt MC engines or Engine re-builders

I think your chain was well lubed. Your machine shop guy will need the valve stem seals, and new pistons if, you are going to over bore. Other then that he should be good.

Re: Sources for rebuilt MC engines or Engine re-builders

Ghost-Flame
TOOLS1 wrote
I think your chain was well lubed. Your machine shop guy will need the valve stem seals, and new pistons if, you are going to over bore. Other then that he should be good.
TOOLS
Tools are you saying that my main seal is not leaking? which means I wouldn't have to split the cases.

I planned on doing valves and rings. Will he need the pistons and the new rings? He would also need the head for trueing or no?
1980 CB750C DOHC
It's never too late to start something new!

Re: Sources for rebuilt MC engines or Engine re-builders

Your seal is leaking. Thus lubing your chain. The machinist is going to need the head to do a valve job. That is when the new valve seals will be installed. He can also check the surface of the head to see if it is flat, or needs decked. He will also need the pistons , and cylinder to bore the cylinder to fit the pistons. He will not need the rings to do this. You will have to gap the rings before installing them.

Re: Sources for rebuilt MC engines or Engine re-builders

Ghost-Flame
TOOLS1 wrote
Your seal is leaking. Thus lubing your chain. The machinist is going to need the head to do a valve job. That is when the new valve seals will be installed. He can also check the surface of the head to see if it is flat, or needs decked. He will also need the pistons , and cylinder to bore the cylinder to fit the pistons. He will not need the rings to do this. You will have to gap the rings before installing them.
TOOLS
Thanks Tools for clearing that up. Okay here's another stupid question regarding that leaking main seal. I can't find any how to on replacing that seal. Do I need to split the cases to replace that seal? over on another forum someone said you didn't but I can't see how to do it. Do you just pick it out of there or what any advice would be good.
1980 CB750C DOHC
It's never too late to start something new!

Re: Sources for rebuilt MC engines or Engine re-builders

That is not a stupid question! Unfortunately I do not know the answer. I have heard both stories myself. Maybe if, you cleaned the are real good, and took a better picture I could tell by looking at the seal.

1980 CB750C DOHC
It's never too late to start something new!

Re: Sources for rebuilt MC engines or Engine re-builders

Ghost-Flame
Hey everyone,  I have been away for awhile. My engine is at liberty cycle in Philadelphia.  My seat is being customized by an upholsterer in The Philly burbs. Its going to be cafe design, black with Brown trim.
Thats it. Completely apart, waiting for engine and seat and about 4grand $. And then and then...
1980 CB750C DOHC
It's never too late to start something new!

Re: Sources for rebuilt MC engines or Engine re-builders

Lucky 1
It will not do any good to put in new valve guide
seals and new valves if the valve guides are worn out.

Check valve wobble with dial indicator .004 thousandths allowable maximum.

Install new guides and ream to spec.
Recut the valve seats.
Install the new valves.
Install new valve springs.