Startor Motor removal

McKenzie1989
Hello and nice to meet everyone, finally. Gotta say kinda feels like I've known you guys on here for a little while since I have been using all of your great advice for the past several months whenever I got the chance to work on my bike. I'm already pretty good with cars and couldn't believe how much transferred over, and how much did not... I live in Sudbury Ontario so it's past the season here but the way I figure that's just an even better excuse to fix it up while all she can really do is look pretty lol.

So I own a 1981 CB750 and I've been going through working out all the little problems here and there, dirty carbs, frayed tubes, rusted tank to name a few. However I'm now at an ends with my starter motor. I have found the problem, 3 loose bolts, which seems to be quite common (So sorry for bringing it up again lol). However I haven't been able to find a really good step by step for removing everything in order to reach these three bolts. And let me tell you, when it's -10c and you slip and bang your fingers trying to use a little tiny wrench, it is painful.

Near as I can tell, I should just be able to use a crescent wrench to hold the nut and use a socket wrench to take the bolt out, I just want to make sure that this is indeed the way to get that contraption off to effectively reach those three bolts before I just start ripping stuff apart.

Re: Startor Motor removal

McKenzie1989
Sorry I just got the picture off my phone sorry if it's poor quality.

Re: Startor Motor removal

I'm not sure what it is you are wanting to do here. If it is to rebuild the starter drive, you do not need to remove the starter. You might want to download the factory service manual from the top of the home page here. Or look at a parts fisch on a site like powersedge.com

Re: Startor Motor removal

McKenzie1989
More or less just a tune up (I hope. I had it running not to long ago), then after about a week I would attempt to start it and it would sound like none of the gears were engaging, once you'd let go of the starter I would get this horrid grinding sound. From my work with cars I figured this had to be the starter.

So I took off my left casing and found that on what my diagrams say is my outer start clutch, that the three bolts on it were loose. This is behind my spark advancer, and I need to remove that to be able to properly reach those three bolts. I'm honestly hoping that I don't need to pull apart the entire starter motor to get this problem solved, but Canadian winters are long so it's not like I don't have to time :)