Surging & Cutting out

1978Cafe750f
It was a nice day in the low to mid 80's so I decided to take the 78 F for a spin to the store.  On my way home I decided I'd stretch my ride out and just past my house it started to surge.  Went to give it gas to clear everything and it cut out.  Pulled over and sat for a while and couldn't get her started again.

Pulled the choke and wacked the throttle while holding the starter.  Stated up but died if RPMs dropped below 3k and response was jumpy and not right.  Did it again and kept it high as I took off and turned into the next parking lot a few gears later.  Next thing I know it seems to be running normal so I headed home.

Decided to go to the Wrap Shack for some grub.  Starts up and goes.  Get to a red light and it started all over again.  Full choke and wacked it and it started and I ran 1/2 choke to the Wrap Shack and kept RPMs on the high side.

On my way home ... you guess it ... same stuff different mile.  If I heard die I was able to downshift and jump it ... until I got to the mile long up hill stretch then it was back to the side of the road and wacking it with the choke out and a quick take off.

Bike is still on the new side to me and I am looking for any advice on where to start.  Anything would be good.  Thanks Guys.

brakes are like your pecker ... if you use it too much you'll screw youself

Re: Surging & Cutting out

Sounds like bad gas. Try some "seafoam" in the tank. Also clean the float bowels out.

Re: Surging & Cutting out

1978Cafe750f
Tools ... drained the tank and filled it with a full tank of gas and seafoam.  Let it run and took it for a spin around the neighbor hood.   Seems good!
I am avoiding on taking apart carbs until the winter months when I will be going thru the entire bike.  Any experience with any of the additives that "clean" the carberators?  I will probably do some of it on the next tank.

Also to you and anyone out there ... octane levels on gas?  What are you all running?
brakes are like your pecker ... if you use it too much you'll screw youself

Re: Surging & Cutting out

The "seafoam" will do a pretty good job of cleaning the carbs. Just run it through a few tankfuls of gas.
I have the timing advanced 2* on the Toolmatic, for better starting, but I run premium gas, and Turbo 108 octane  booster.

Re: Surging & Cutting out

1978Cafe750f
I do not know the entire history of my engine and drive besides the visible (pods, larger chain and sprocket).  I have just been tossing in regular gas ... should I bump it up to a higher level?
brakes are like your pecker ... if you use it too much you'll screw youself

Re: Surging & Cutting out

If you hear any pinging, or knocking, you should.