Suspension preferences - a poll

Truck
I'd like to get opinions on an idea I have been mulling over. I have ridden Bikes with 2 rear shocks, mono shocks and hardtails (ouch!!!  ), but I have never ridden a hardtail with the suspension in the seat. For the bike I'm building I'm kinda going for an older bobber/chopper look and the look of a hardtail with a spring seat is growing on me. My quandary is that this bike is going to be a daily driver, and by daily I'm talking to/from work, roadtrips, above 40 I'm riding. I just don't have any background on how well that system rides. Short rides I could go without a suspension at all, just gotta swerve those potholes, but what is y'alls opinion for the longer rides and in general?
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Suspension preferences - a poll

I like riding a hardtail with a sprung seat myself.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Suspension preferences - a poll

I never got around to mounting a sprung seat on my old bike. I gotta admit though, even without it, I never thought the ht was all that bad.

Twin shocks off early CB's are pretty archaic, tbh. Modern twin shocks that will actually offer great suspension will cost you a couple grand.

IMO, a sprung seat looks great and rivals the ride of 35 year old shocks anyway.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Suspension preferences - a poll

Make your own! Or, send me some measurements. ;)

Whatcha got in mind?

Re: Suspension preferences - a poll

Truck
First I need to get a fender and get it in place to see where I want it to sit.  I actually know a blacksmith in the area so I was going to see if he could come up with something cool and strong enough. If not I'll give you a holler.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever made a set of trees?
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Suspension preferences - a poll

I haven't made any trees, but I've been looking in to it. I do know I guy that makes GORGEOUS yokes for about $200-300 a pair,though.

I did see a thread one time where I guy made a set of yokes with hole saws and a chop saw. He was shooting for big and beefy, not exactly intricate pieces, but they turned out quite nice. I'll see if I can find that.

edit: found it, but all the pic links are dead :(  http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49779&page=10

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Suspension preferences - a poll

Are you going to rake the neck out any? Reason I ask, GL legs aren't incredibly long. A raked neck with not-very-long legs will sit awfully low. A lot of newer dirtbikes have long, extremely beefy forks. I know they'll be sprung for a lighter bike, but the angle they'll be working on makes we wonder just how much the soft springs will be affected.

Heading in to town for a bit to see about some info on my own HT project. ;)

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Suspension preferences - a poll

Lincoln Highway Bullitt
 You could always do this. Leaf spring rear suspension.
Making Laps, Twisting the Throttle and Cruzz control, it just don't get any better!

Re: Suspension preferences - a poll

You know, most TRUCKS do have leaf spring suspensions.

Re: Suspension preferences - a poll

Truck
That looks cool! I'm going for a sleek, clean look, hence the reason I want to ditch the shocks and tuck the tire in as close as I can inside the fender.

As for the oil tank I'm going to try and cut the top off about an 1" from the top, weld some tabs on the inside (or a band) and hold it on with some set screws.

Of course nothings getting done till I move and get everything set back up!