THE NEXT PROJECT!

Cabreco
The motorcycle trip to Dragon's Tail, as enjoyable as it was, has made me come to realize that trying to be a member of the IRON BUTT GANG
is NOT an easy task. THEREFORE I am building a motorcycle hauler. I JUST found this online for $200.00 It's complete & functional.
Just needs lights, a floor, & a little paint. That should be another $150 or so.
It will wind up costing $350 total for a 12 x 6 utility/motorcycle trailer WITH electric brakes & break away switch!

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

For $200 that's a great deal, if the tires are good that is an absolute steal!  Good find buddy!

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Cabreco
Tires are ok but I am going to buy new rubber for this since it will haul my bikes for distances.

BTW here's a video us on the Cherohala Skyway on one of those brief moment the rain ceased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUY5JE6Se0c

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Cabreco
I spent the entire day, stripping the frame down to basics, removing all the excess.
Then I spent hour removing the remnents of old rusty sheet metal screws
ALL OVER the frame. Next it's cleaning, washing & repainting!

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Cabreco
I need some advice on flooring the bike carrier.
I have stripped the frame & since I was able to dead lift one side off the ground, I am assuming it weigh no more than 600LBS. My axle capacity is 2,300LBS

I was originally thinking to floor it with six 2"x8"x12' pressure treated boards which would add just over 250lbs to the trailer cost $130.
If I used three 3/4"x4'x8' sheets of pressure treated plywood it would be 225Lbs cost $107.
The deck, regardless of what I use will sit on the crossbeams not in a recess.

So my question is which wood to use?
The plywood would be cheaper & the cost of the fasteners would also be cheaper vs the planks & carriage bolts but is the 3/4 strong enough & durable enough to hold the 2 bikes? (a CB750 & a Gen 1)

There are plenty of cross beams to attach to, as you can see in the pix of the trailer above.

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

I would use treated 5/4 decking. You know the stuff they use for decks. I would also trim the rounded edges off though. Then to fasten it I would lay it down, and use 1 1/2 X 2 1/2 angle iron across the front, and back laid down across the ends with the 2 1/2 inch side pointing down, and welded, or bolted to the trailer rails.

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Truck
are you only using it as a bike trailer? If so I'd go with 2 lengths of C channel.will give you the strenght and stiffness you want and a nice groove for your tires.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

The 3/4" plywood will have, at most, 1-foot of unsupported span between the cross-beams?  It will easily support the weight of the bikes as you roll them across its surface.  Plywood is cheaper, lighter, and simpler to attach.  Just be aware that the green-treated wood can still warp with moisture.  My deck is made of green-treated, exterior grade, wood:  I have 2-3 boards that have warped, and need to be replaced -- unsealed, just the green wood exposed, slowly turning gray with time and the elements.

I bought a M/C trailer early this year (ended up with a steel grate surface, no wood needed), and while shopping, I looked at different options, including something like your's.  I was planning the plywood route for all the reasons listed above.  I wanted a utility trailer, nothing fancy, nothing for show, just functionality.  Plywood will give you just that.  To dress it up, you can always roll on paint:  oil-based, marina/boat paint is the most durable, I believe.  Again, cheap can be done, as well, but it will require more attention, sooner.

My trailer has a thick, sheetmetal channel running from front, to back, for the wheels to travel in.  This channel not only guides the tires, but it also supports the weight:  the steel grate surface is not strong enough, on its own, to support the bike's weight, without bending.  You could always fabricate a sheetmetal channel for the tires, with a wheel chock up front.  You could even put three channels in place, to carry a single bike up the middle, for best weight distribution.  Cheers!

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Cabreco
And the progress continues...I wire sandblasted the trailer. I coated the entire trailer with Rust Bullet, which is a rust encapsulator, then I shot it with a coat of paint!

The wiring is next.

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Lucky 1
I would add a piece of curved sheet metal on the front about 30 inches high to streamline it just a little and keep the debris off of the bike. A piece of 10ga. would not even need much support.
You could bend it over a log. add a piece of roundbar along the top edge. Just skip weld.

Maybe shorten the trailer just a little too.

Make the fenders flat on top so you can sit on them.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Lucky 1
The plywood bolted all around would give the frame a lot more strength.
USe locknuts or locktite on the nuts. They can come loose.

I would not use channels. You just end up tripping on them all the time
and cannot lay flat stuff on it. The channels limit the use of the trailer.

Good clean up job and paint so far.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Cabreco
This post was updated on .
Went hunting for 14" rims today at Pick & Pull junkyard...Do you KNOW how hard it is to find 14" rear wheel drive 5 bolt 4 1/2 bolt pattern rims? RIDICULOUS!

The smallest I found on Crown vics, mustangs & other rear wheel drive were 15"
I did see a 92 Ranger but it only had 1 rim.

I FINALLY came across a Ford Aerostar with 3 good rims & hubcaps.
Got them all for $30 bucks. I brought them home & cleaned them up the broke out the old Coates 10/10 & mounted 215-60/14 H rated tires I had in my garage from my Capri GT.

I got lucky, once I came home from junkyard it started POURING BIG TIME.

I will post pix tomorrow (if it's not still raining)

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Lucky 1
Way to go!

ITs getting into shape quick!
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Cabreco
WILL IT EVER STOP RAINING!
Got very little done. New wheels & tires mounted!

Those puppies JUST made it in.

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Cabreco
OK, I'm Sporting Wood now!

I went with the 5/4 deck planks. I let them sit in the hot sun a few days to dry out
and I just waterproofed them all around. Next step is trimming & fastening the boards down!

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

mk3brent
Nice!

Good price on that trailer base.

Gotta figure out where to park it when not in use now. :)

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Cabreco

TIME TO WELD the pieces together!

I do have to trim about 3 inches off height of these to make them fit perfect.
Time to break out the metal fab tools!

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Cabreco
OK! Steel Fenders assembled & spot welded together, then I stick welded the fenders to the frame. Primed & undercoated the fenders...Paint to match next. I also added 1/4 wheel spacers to give me additional clearance on the 215 60 14 tires against the frame. GETTING THERE!

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Truck
you know with all that room on there and just 1 or 2 bikes, a tiki bar would look reeeeeel nice parked on the front of that thing!
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: THE NEXT PROJECT!

Cabreco
Ok

I finished Painting the fenders & fastening all the deckboard (I'll post pix tomorrow)

Here is where I need input ideas.

I am looking for inexpensive.

It doesn't have to be a tailgate (I have storage room)

I figure 4 ft wide to be able to handle a disabled bike being walked

If I made it out of wood what would be the best contruction to meet the above?

My deck is 16" from the ground so I think 6 feet long would suffice.

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee