The New Guy...

OnyxWolf
Hi all, I have been lurking in the shadows for a month or 2 now and decided I should just go ahead and join.

The tip, manuals and advice have been a great help. So...here's my "NEW" ride

"79 CB750K

Long story short...I had an '81 about 15 yrs ago that I blew the engine on and have been without a bike since, then I saw this one on CL and had to have it.

$850.00 later shes in my driveway
'79 CB750K

Somewhere in Phoenix...Damn its hot

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. ~ Second Amendment of the United States

Re: The New Guy...

Nice. I love that sissy bar.

Re: The New Guy...

OnyxWolf
Thanks
Here's a couple more

With the new rear shocks

'79 CB750K

Somewhere in Phoenix...Damn its hot

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. ~ Second Amendment of the United States

Re: The New Guy...

OnyxWolf
She still needs fork seals, tires, and rear break pads. I may have to rebuild the carbs but I am waiting till after the seafoam runs through with the good fuel to see if that sorts it out first.
'79 CB750K

Somewhere in Phoenix...Damn its hot

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. ~ Second Amendment of the United States

Re: The New Guy...

Women love those sissy bars. They get to totally relax while riding. Good for the rider too as then there is less weight pushing against him all the time. Works good for a nap on the bike, in a pinch!

Sure looks in good shape for the age. You will just have to look up here how to drop the cb900 cams into the bike! It is almost a drop-in install.

Re: The New Guy...

OnyxWolf
Yeah the sissy bar was a bonus.

As for the cam, I am gonna leave it stock for now. I may change my mind down the road though.

I am considering an oil cooler though as I live in Phoenix and have some concerns about the heat.
'79 CB750K

Somewhere in Phoenix...Damn its hot

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. ~ Second Amendment of the United States

Re: The New Guy...

A forum member that has been MIA for some time now Sgtslag, did a write up  on putting an oil cooler on the DOHC bikes here. A search might bring it up.

Re: The New Guy...

OnyxWolf
Thanks Tools I'll snoop around and see if I can find it.
'79 CB750K

Somewhere in Phoenix...Damn its hot

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. ~ Second Amendment of the United States

Re: The New Guy...

cblover
Nice clean bike! Welcome to the forums.

Re: The New Guy...

OnyxWolf
So I am finally doing some clean up on this girl...
Primed

And a little paint...Painted

Just a quick job to make her look a bit better.  Badges will go on tomorrow, then back on the bike.
'79 CB750K

Somewhere in Phoenix...Damn its hot

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. ~ Second Amendment of the United States

Re: The New Guy...

It is amazing what a little fresh paint and some wax can do to an old bike.

Re: The New Guy...

OnyxWolf
OK here she is
On bike
On bike r

And yes she needs a bath.
'79 CB750K

Somewhere in Phoenix...Damn its hot

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. ~ Second Amendment of the United States

Re: The New Guy...

I like dirty girls myself.

Re: The New Guy...

OnyxWolf
She's a really dirty girl today...it's been a "work on the bike" weekend. New tires, brake shoes, fork seals, upgraded fork springs, and exhaust gaskets. Reset the fuel screws and idle. Test rode a few miles today, will do a few more tomorrow.  Should be riding regularly soon. The weather here is just getting good for it too.
'79 CB750K

Somewhere in Phoenix...Damn its hot

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. ~ Second Amendment of the United States

Re: The New Guy...

OnyxWolf
Wish me luck all. After a good ride and test, I have come to the realisation that I have to rebuild the carbs. So, carb manual in phone, parts and supplies gathered, here we go.
'79 CB750K

Somewhere in Phoenix...Damn its hot

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. ~ Second Amendment of the United States

Re: The New Guy...

OnyxWolf
So I tore the carbs apart, saving #2 for last (extra stuff and all), only to find that the accelerator pump spring was absent. Well that could explain my issues of the bike not idling down properly. No spring...accelerator diaphragm doesn't close...too much fuel running...won't idle down. Some days you just want to smack a PO.
On a good note, I'll have fresh clean carbs.
'79 CB750K

Somewhere in Phoenix...Damn its hot

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. ~ Second Amendment of the United States

Re: The New Guy...

That should not have been the issue since there are check valves in the accelerator pump to make it pump when the diaphragm moves. It was probably just not working at all.

Re: The New Guy...

OnyxWolf
Well the carbs are back together and on the bike. Fired up. Minor adjustments and she's running nice...only problem is that float #2 is not closing. Tried rappin on the bowl, no good. Gonna have to pull them and work on the float/needle.
'79 CB750K

Somewhere in Phoenix...Damn its hot

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. ~ Second Amendment of the United States

Re: The New Guy...

OnyxWolf
Leaking issue solved!  Full test ride after work today. If all goes well, that's the last of the mechanical work for now. The rest is cosmetic.