Understanding and adjusting your SOHC voltage regulator

Understanding and adjusting your SOHC voltage regulator

I found this in the Factory Service Manual last night. I was not aware the voltage regulator was adjustable. This might come in handy if your bike is charging,but just not that well.

Everything is explained from diagnosing your problem, where in the system is the correct place to put your test meter, what the actual readings should be at certain RPMs and how to make the adjustments.

These simple adjustments could prevent you from buying a new voltage regulator if all you need is a slight adjustments.Don't throw it away if all it needs is a little cleaning and readjusting!

Re: Understanding and adjusting your SOHC voltage regulator

Piute

   when I 1st got my bike and was going thru wires,I maked (color order)and put the regulator back on backwards,Didn't know till just last wk (testing)was color coded and everything already.  TANKS bud .

Re: Understanding and adjusting your SOHC voltage regulator

I knew the older regulators were mechanical, but I had never heard of them being adjustable -- makes sense, though.  My truck had an original, mechanical regulator which went out on me, a couple of months ago.  I replaced it with a solid-state unit (current replacement from the parts store), and that works perfectly.  I guess I would just replace a mechanical unit for a solid-state, modern type, as they work more reliably, no adjustments necessary, nor possible.  YMMV.  It is interesting, though.  Thanks for sharing.  Cheers!

Re: Understanding and adjusting your SOHC voltage regulator

I used this on the chopper last night. It was barely charging before. Battery voltage would read 11.8-12.2 volts at rest,when charging it would only read 12.2-12.5 volts. After cleaning the points (Fig. 8-12) with 1200 grit sand paper dressed with polishing compound and adjusting the screw I know have 14.2-14.5 volts while charging. All for free and without waiting for parts