What's the difference?

Maz

Re: What's the difference?

Maz
I'm always amused when I hear the word 'Fanny' used in an American movie/TV show! I know, it's childish, but I guess I still haven't grown up after 54 years!

Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: What's the difference?

"Fanny?" Whats so amusing about "fanny"?

Maz

Re: What's the difference?

Maz
In the UK, 'fanny' is slang for a woman's private parts.
Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: What's the difference?

Maz wrote
In the UK, 'fanny' is slang for a woman's private parts.
Maz
Oh, that's funny. I have noticed the continual use of the word "clever" in Doctor Who to describe someone as being intelligent. Here in the former colonies to describe someone as being "clever" can have a negative connotation. Such as being deceitful, mischievous.

Maz

Re: What's the difference?

Maz
This post was updated on .
Strange how the same word, used in the same language, means something different simply due to the location.
Can someone explain what a "turnpike" is?
Also, we refer to the pedestrian walkway next to any road, as the "pavement". I guess that could cause an accident over here if an American tourist was told to walk on the pavement?
Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: What's the difference?

"Turnpike" is what people in New York, and New Jersey call a toll road that you pay a feel to travel on. "Pavement" is any concrete surface you can travel/stand on, usually street, or parking lot. Not to be confused with "asphalt" which is a petroleum/tar based surface which serves the same purpose. The military refers to these surfaces as "tarmac" you fall out, and form up on the tarmac for PT.
Does the term "going commando" have any specific meanings in the UK?

Maz