Will not start need help

Adavis
I am new and I'm trying to get my 81 custom running I have spark and fuel. Not sure what else to look at.

Re: Will not start need help

seestheday
Have you done a compression test?  Any motorcycle needs at least 100 psi for ignition.
Factory spec for my 81 is 170 +/- 28.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: Will not start need help

Adavis
Not yet gonna try that in the morning. Thanks

Re: Will not start need help

Do, you have fuel reaching the cylinders?

Re: Will not start need help

Adavis
Have good compression no fuel going to cylinders 3 & 4. Dirty carbs maybe

Re: Will not start need help

Sounds like it.

Re: Will not start need help

Adavis
Well  I found the problem. The timing chain came off! Not sure how to fix this guess I need a manaul

Re: Will not start need help

It came off? How? Did the bolts come out of the cam sprocket? Did the chain break? Or did a guide fail?

Re: Will not start need help

Adavis
I'm guessing the guide failed it is off the crank sound like I have to tear motor apart.

Re: Will not start need help

Which chain got loose: the short one between the 2 cams, or the long one from the crank to the exhaust cam?  Pictures may help.

Some things to look at/look for:
You may be able to put it back on without tearing the engine apart.  You will probably want to pull the engine from the frame to have better access.  You will also want to know if something else got bent or broken when the chain let go.  Valves, dents in piston tops, cams, other stuff.

However, you will want to know how/why the chain got off the cam. Possible causes: a VERY loose cam chain tensioner, bad cam chain guide, stretched chain.  Once you find that out, it'll add to the list.

You need to count the cost of this repair vs. finding a used motor to replace it.  Doing it yourself will save you lots in labor cost, but the parts ain't cheap.

Re: Will not start need help

Adavis
The long one it's not connected to the crank. Not sure how to fix or what has to come apart to get to it.

Re: Will not start need help

Adavis
The bad thing is I just bought this bike as a no start and wasn't expecting a timing chain issue

Re: Will not start need help

That's a chance, you take. The DOHC bikes are known, for cam chain problems.

Re: Will not start need help

Adavis
Well I found a tensioner set with guides cheap if I need it so I think I will tacle the project and get it running. I aprecciete all the advice it was alot of help

Re: Will not start need help

It's possibly related to the single long chain between crankshaft and exhaust cam, and then another chain between the 2 cams.  That's a lot of load for the chain: maybe too much?  I'm not sure they updated that part of the valve train in later years, but maybe they missed it on the first year of DOHC.

Re: Will not start need help

Adavis
It's the long chain it failed debating repair or motor swap If I can find a motor close to were I live.

Re: Will not start need help

Where do, you live?

Re: Will not start need help

Adavis
Monroe mi

Re: Will not start need help

cdaiscool
Hmm. I'm moving to Northville tomorrow. If I can get my bike running, I can possibly come down in a week to give you a hand if you want.
Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Will not start need help

Adavis
I was just up that way looking at another bike.