XL 500 S

Re: XL 500 S

Nah, it's not that bad. The bike is super narrow. It's 2" taller now, but here's a picture of me standing over the bike ( I wasn't sitting) with my 32" inseam. You could've just rolled the bike right out from under me. They really aren't big bikes. Plus, with the long travel shocks,  they squat about 2" as soon as you sit down.

Re: XL 500 S

Way behind on updates, but things are percolating.

Got the frame painted and back together.

Painted the rims also, and laced them back up with some stainless spokes. The KLR rim was a DOOOOOG to lace and true up. It took me a whole evening. The Honda rim laced and trued up in less than 30 minutes.

Fnished roller status!..well..still needs new shock, but the rusty crustys can hold her up for now.

Rehab'd the clutch basket.

Rebuilt the fuel injector.

Built the engine and hung it back in the frame.

Picked up a powdercoating setup last night. Dirt cheap! $160 for the oven and the gun. Gun had never been plugged in before. Went to pick it up and my buddy I was buying it from gave me 4 rolls of hi-temp masking tape, 4 jars of powder ( gloss clear, gloss black, chrome and hi-temp satin black) and a big assortment of silicone plugs/caps. Woot!

Lots left to do but the end is in sight. I really,really, really,REALLY, want to get this bike on the road for some camping trips this fall. I'm ready to do some scrambling!

Re: XL 500 S

Hey, you made it out of the woods alive. I was getting worried about you.

Re: XL 500 S

Business is rolling strong this year and I'm tying up a lot of loose ends all over. It's so satisfying to get things done, but I've turned over a new leaf and spending a lot more time with friends. I've always been bad about not wanting to spend any money or take time away from work, but life is too short for that.

Just been busy, man! I'm lucky if I sleep more than 4hrs per night. Honest lo.

Re: XL 500 S

4 hours a night. You're slowing down in your old age. It was not long ago that you did not sleep at all.

Re: XL 500 S

I am still struggling with the insomnia. In fact, a couple weeks ago, I didn't sleep for 8 days straight. Not good times, but whatcha gonna do.

Re: XL 500 S

Start drinking.

Re: XL 500 S

TOOLS1 wrote
Start drinking.
TOOLS
lol Lot's of people tell me that.

Re: XL 500 S

I totally flaked on this project, which stinks because it was really moving along nicely. The wife bought a dirt bike and has been learning to ride, I got a group of buddies I ride dirt bikes with and we are finding new places to ride and I've been doing some travelling with some guys and a few little solo trips. As much as I miss my SOHC CB, I have thoroughly enjoyed my FZ07. It's just a brilliant machine. Goes like stink, struggles to keep the front tire on the ground in 1st & 2nd and gets 55+ mpg while doing it. But, missing the CB has stoked my motivation to get cracking on the CB1100F, so there's that...

I did buy a very fresh side cover for this bike at Barber, though! So...getting there.

Re: XL 500 S

Reckon I should update this, if nothing else to prove that I actually do finish projects!

I think these bikes' wonky orignial chassis gives a bad impression of a really fantastic engine. Compared to a modern dual sport like a KTM 690 Enduro...yeah, it just doesn't have that level of power. But it blows things like a KLR650 away. 265lbs soaking wet, way more bottom end torque and a much smoother running engine. First gear is a proper crawl through the woods at 2mph without needing to ride the clutch, and 5th gear cruises effortlessly at 65mph. No funky vibes shaking the mirrors or your hands, and so far I think fuel mileage is gonna be well above 60mpg. My XR400 gets about 65mpg, so that wasn't a huge shock to me. Low rpm motors just don't burn a bunch of fuel. I actually think this bike is gonna get about 70mpg, but I've only been able to log a few hundred miles so far. Very underrated engines IMO. Handling is very neutral on the road with the new suspension, the brakes are plenty adequate for the weight and the $56 RFY shocks from ebay are actually proving to ride pretty dang good!

Way better in the woods than my old KLR could ever dream of being, and much better highway legs then my trusty ol' XR400. So happy I found this bike.

Strapped on my leather bags from my old chopper and hit the road. I think they look just right on there.

Just a fun, relaxing bike to ride. No battery, no radiators...just kick it to life and go  Life is good.

Re: XL 500 S

Nice job! You do have some pretty places to ride there in the hills.

Re: XL 500 S

This bike is proving itself to be a very capable machine. Yeah, it won't cruise at 80mph like a big street bike, but it cruises easily at 65mph. Gets about 65-70mpg, stops and steers very well and is quite nimble in the woods.

I love this thing!

Re: XL 500 S

Not a vintage, but been having a lot of fun with my other Honda this summer. These Honda thumpers are really making a soft spot in me.

123