Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

Well it is a Honda single. I am installing a 1984 Honda Elite scooter engine and drive, along with the front wheel into a 1952 Sears Allstate Scooter. And then I am going to mount a matching sidecar.
Before

And the donor scooter

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

Some pictures of the disassembly.

Notice that this engine runs backwards.

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

First thing I needed to do was to mount the front wheel off the Elite scooter to establish ride height. The Elite wheel was a larger diameter, so I had to make new trailing links that lowered the wheel for clearance, and work with the Elite axle and brake.

Maz

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

Maz
Looking forward to  watching your progress on this,  Tools.  Those scooters are as ugly as sin,  but so gorgeous at the same time.  Your mods should transform it into a highly useable head turner. Keep the pictures coming.
Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

A little more done. I cut the old engine mounts/cross members out and replaced them with a piece of 2"X3" rectangular tubing. This will be the new engine mount and where the side car mount will be.

The engine/drive unit were too wide to fit in between the frame rails, so I cut them off. Now to build new ones.

Maz

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

Nope, none of that here. It will just keep it's antique plate. Revolution can be a good thing.

Maz

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

Maz
I'm not jealous at all!
I so enjoy jumping through the government's hoops!
Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

On another forum, I read a post from a member in some country overseas somewhere that said they cannot make any changes to a vehicle, even tires, unless an engineer approved the changes before they were made. And the back of a motorcycle had to be white with a freakishly large taillight. After reading that, I was just soooo glad I live in the USA.
TOOLS
P.S. However you guys do have Billie Piper, and Eve Myles.

Maz

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

So, is that something like the relationship between the US and Porto Rico? I am looking forward to Jodi Whittaker as the new Doctor.

Maz

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

Maz
Thankfully there are no 'hard' borders in the UK, so we are able to move throughout the tiny island as we wish.. Although if you use the Severn Bridge to cross the River Severn from England into Wales, you have to pay, but you don't have to pay to come the other way!
As for Dr Who,  I stopped watching it after Tom Baker! I never thought I would see a female Dr though - I may have to start watching again.
Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

Now this is cool!

Pretty curious to see what you do with the sidecar. Will the sidecar wheel have it's own engine, too?  Just curious how much weight this thing could move around reasonably.

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

Progress has been made. I mocked up the new frame pieces in wood.

I cut the frame pieces from 1" X 2" 11gauge tubing. I also made some inserts for the motor mounts, so that they would not crush the tubing.

I also made shock mounts.

I then made up a small welding table with an adjustable piece to set the angles with.

It worked great for tacking the frame rails together.

I then made a jig off the frame to line up the engine, and shock mounts.

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

Good stuff, man.

I wish this forum had the option to like/ hi five/ thumbs up a post or something. Then I remembered we have these:

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

I like those.

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

I had some time and was able to get some more done on the scooter.
I test fitted the engine on the new frame section.

Then I test fitted it on the scooter, and squared it up.

Then I added gussets and finished the welding. Being very careful not to let it warp.

However it did warp, so back to square one which was actually my first plan on how to build this frame section. I decided to make the motor mounts separate from the frame section, and then add the frame section. I ended up cutting a section out of each frame tube.

Then I made new motor mounts.

And welded them in place.

Then I fitted the frame section over the new mounts and squared it up.

Maz

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

Maz
Hey,  Tools.  Is there no end to your ingenuity.
I wish I had half of your skills..... and maybe a workshop the same size!
I'm so looking forward to the end result.
Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: Honda Elite engine/running gear into 1952 Sears Allstate scooter.

Don't wish for a workshop the size of mine, wish for one at least 10 times the size of mine. I only have a 1 1/2 car garage. I have to make several trips to the basement for parts, tools...

Maz