XS Performance High Output Coil..Part #: 17-6810 YOUR THOUGHTS please

XS Performance High Output Coil..Part #: 17-6810 YOUR THOUGHTS please

Piute
Fits: Honda All Honda CB750's (1970-78)

Dual Tower XS Performance High Output ignition Coil 3.3 OHM Primary Resistance. 15K OHM Secondary Resistance. Capable of sustained 45KV output with 12.5v DC input. Capable of sustained 75KV output with 14v DC input. Replaces stock factory ignition coils on All 1970 & up models and works with Pamco electronic ignitions. Requires 7 mm Dia. High tension spark plug wires (order separate) and 5K OHM spark plug caps. CB750's require 2 coils.
Warning! Serious High Voltage

WARNING!!! Do not operate or apply power to the ignition system with one or both spark plugs disconnected. Operating or applying power to the coil or ignition system with one or both spark plugs disconnected will cause IMMEDIATE FAILURE to the coil. Ignition coils are NOT WARRANTIED for this reason

 THIS LAST PART WARNINGCould some-one elaberate on this cause this mean I have to buy a special tool just to see if I got spark to my plugs
                                                 Never heard of such a thing(tool yes)

Re: XS Performance High Output Coil..Part #: 17-6810 YOUR THOUGHTS please

"WARNING!!! Do not operate or apply power to the ignition system with one or both spark plugs disconnected. Operating or applying power to the coil or ignition system with one or both spark plugs disconnected will cause IMMEDIATE FAILURE to the coil. Ignition coils are NOT WARRANTIED for this reason"

That's the reason I would never use these coils. You just never know when someone might try to check the spark, or a plug wire come off.

Re: XS Performance High Output Coil..Part #: 17-6810 YOUR THOUGHTS please

The coils are step-up transformers,  which means they amplify, or "step-up", the voltage.  If the energy does not have somewhere to go, to return to ground, it will arc across the wire windings within the coil, burning through the insulation, destroying the coil, rendering it into scrap metal (copper).

To check for spark, Luke (?) stated in another thread, earlier today, just use an inductive timing light, which has a clip that goes around a spark plug wire, picking up an induced voltage from the high voltage current going through the wire.  DO NOT ATTEMPT TO HOLD THE PLUG IN YOUR HAND TO GROUND IT TO THE ENGINE BLOCK WHILE FIRING!!!

WARNING!  45kV is 45,000 volts!  There is very little current, but that level of voltage can cause a heart arrhythmia (abnormal heart beat), which may not produce symptoms immediately, but which could lead to your heart stopping, suddenly, with little, to no warning!  On all modern car ignition systems, the voltage is around this level, and getting shocked by it, requires a mandatory trip to the ER to get your heart checked for a normal beat...

The old, 70's vintage coils, produce voltages probably less than 15kV -- still painful, and still capable of causing a heart arrhythmia, but not nearly as dangerous as the modern, 45kV units.  One method of improving the power output of the OEM coils, is to use a 12V relay, to switch the coils on (requires a solid-state, high-speed relay) connected directly to the battery.  This approach will give the coils full battery voltage, and current (there are numerous resistive losses in the wiring between the coils' input tabs, and the battery terminals, typically).

If you go with these coils, I would strongly recommend NKG Iridium Spark Plugs ($8/plug), which are also resistive.  If the OEM coils are still working, try the Iridium Plugs, alone, and first:  inexpensive compared to new coils, and they require less energy to throw a spark -- they fire much easier, much more reliably, and you may not need anything more than these.  Cheers!

Re: XS Performance High Output Coil..Part #: 17-6810 YOUR THOUGHTS please

Yeah,I's probably spend my hard earned money elsewhere. Like Tools said,if a plug boot fell off by accident and it toasted one of your high dollar coils...that would suck...big time. Stock coils a reliable apparently and I doubt you would see any real power gains.

I'd probably just put that money in the gas tank and roll on.IMO

Re: XS Performance High Output Coil..Part #: 17-6810 YOUR THOUGHTS please

   @TOOLS That is what I'm worried about ,

   @ sgr.I've seen fried coils on cars mine,have been shocked by mags a few times,like a punch in the chest,fingers hurt for days ,but it sure worked. So guess I'l just get stk new and try the relay thing .I have the coils that came with bike 34yrs ago,they work,I ride the last thing on wont to worry about is a prob. with anything on the bike.So new when $$$ is there,

                                          Hey this bike is my bad habit give me a break

Re: XS Performance High Output Coil..Part #: 17-6810 YOUR THOUGHTS please

lol   bad habits are the funnest...most funner..good funny...BEST!

Re: XS Performance High Output Coil..Part #: 17-6810 YOUR THOUGHTS please

                                            pooooooo