chain noise, sprocket movement????

wes

chain noise, sprocket movement????

wes
i thought i made this post last night, thats what happens when your on at 1 in the mornin. bikes been runnin good. on a short ride, i could hear my chain. looked and it was very loose, slack. slack like i cant belive  i didnt notice it before. took it home and adjusted acording to manual. looked good i thought. rode around block, felt/sounded better. on next ride, noticed, felt, a vibration at low speeds. like when turning and stopping. didnt notice it on the road, not until i was stopping. chain and rear sprocket are good. lookin at front sprocket , looked ok. very hard to see. i could see some movement in the sprocket when pushin or puling on chain. it moved forward and backwards a lil. should have checkd for any side too side movement. here is the next problem. bike has a 4 too one exhaust with a kinda big pipe. bike has no center stand. any ideas on how i can lift this thing? iive always got good advice from you guys. thanks for any input.also need to say that noise was not constant, came and went with wheel rotation. could tell made sound,vibration with every wheel rotation.
With my opinion and your knowledge, we can change the world.
KEEP YOUR FISTS UP, FOR BALANCE AND PROTECTION!!!
i like fat chicks

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

robs750
How many miles on the chain and sprockets?

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

Get one of those jack style bike lifts, or have someone lean it over on the side stand while, you check it. As, for the clatter/vibration. I would bet the chain is worn out.

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

pat english
take off the header?..its only 8 bolts..

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

Build your self a custom block out of wood (4x6/2x4) .some brackets
  In the front I'd go across case gaurds there and push up on them,I'v got a 4x4 with "L"brackets and car bearing mag wheel center cap shoved fiberglass and resin in ,couple sheets of wax paper(protection for release) ,put floojack pad in it raised bike just a bit,back down with lil pressure if any,let dry have a perfict inprent so will stay balanced on jack.

  Couldn't tell ya how to do the rear ,can't see

  For got how nice yo bike looks like that blue

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

Will a center stand not go on your bike at all,or just not permanently mounted? I dont leave my center stand on,I just slip it on when i need the back wheel up? Just a thought.

Not sure if this relates,but I'll put it out there anyway. I was riding one day on a freshly adjusted chain. Some knuckle head pulled out in front of me and i had to get on the brakes...HARD! So hard that my axle slid back! It pulled the chain extra tight and I knew it instantly.A too-tight chain will growl. Now when i tighten my rear axle I pull on the wrench until the rear tire comes off the ground. I try to keep my hand about 1' from the axle nut when i do this,so i'd say it's safe to say I tighten my rear axle to 250 ft/lbs. The chain adjuster bolts keep the axle from creeping forward in the adjustment slots,but only axle tension keeps it from sliding backwards.

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

rrgunslinger
Will a center stand not go on your bike at all,or just not permanently mounted? I dont leave my center stand on,I just slip it on when i need the back wheel up? Just a thought.

Great idea!

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM, shinyribs [via Honda CB750'S] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Will a center stand not go on your bike at all,or just not permanently mounted? I dont leave my center stand on,I just slip it on when i need the back wheel up? Just a thought.

Not sure if this relates,but I'll put it out there anyway. I was riding one day on a freshly adjusted chain. Some knuckle head pulled out in front of me and i had to get on the brakes...HARD! So hard that my axle slid back! It pulled the chain extra tight and I knew it instantly.A too-tight chain will growl. Now when i tighten my rear axle I pull on the wrench until the rear tire comes off the ground. I try to keep my hand about 1' from the axle nut when i do this,so i'd say it's safe to say I tighten my rear axle to 250 ft/lbs. The chain adjuster bolts keep the axle from creeping forward in the adjustment slots,but only axle tension keeps it from sliding backwards.
Montvale,Virginia
 Piute said it best:  "wheres my 10mm?"
Hellbilly-"that is a great way to tell if you have come to your senses, when you start drilling random holes in things... "

LukeM-"Scooters rock, especially when they're in posse formation. "

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/chain-noise-sprocket-movement-tp4024173p4024224.html
To start a new topic under Honda CB750'S, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Honda CB750'S, click here.
NAML

American by birth. Cowboy by choice! Vero Beach, FL http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/grandpaslinger/HD%20Road%20Glide/IMAG0046.jpg
wes

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

wes
This post was updated on .
thanks for the info guys. the bike didnt come with a center stand, i was told one wouldnt fit with the pipe thats on it. i dont know that for sure. a friend who knows alot more than i said chain and rear sprocket looked good. need a friend to help with the kick stand. thats a good idea. i need to be creative and make me a customw stand, im gonna post a pic or two very soon. any ideas on the play in the rear sprocket? thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!XXXXX SHOULD HAVE SAID "PLAY IN FRONT SPROCKET" OOPS
With my opinion and your knowledge, we can change the world.
KEEP YOUR FISTS UP, FOR BALANCE AND PROTECTION!!!
i like fat chicks

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

Wes,what exactly do you mean by play in the rear sprocket? Is the chain loose on the sprocket,or does it actually wobble on the wheel? If the rear sprocket is tight on the studs,but it wobbles,sounds like the rubbers in the cush drive could be bad. I really dont know,just thinking out loud.
wes

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

wes
i lay on the ground to see the front sprocket. i can touch it with my finger and it has a lil play in it. just a lil forwadrs and backwards. should mayb genty see if there is any side too side movement with a screwdriver.
With my opinion and your knowledge, we can change the world.
KEEP YOUR FISTS UP, FOR BALANCE AND PROTECTION!!!
i like fat chicks

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

sgtslag
A clicker torque wrench is only $20-$30.  It may not be terribly accurate, but it is one hell of a lot more accurate than "eye-balling it".  If you apply the proper torque to all of the nuts, and bolts, you'll be in a lot better shape.  With proper torque applied, the axle won't move in a pucker moment.  Cheers!

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

My bike does that,too. The sprocket that comes out of the motor. It will rotate some forwards and backwards. The higher up in the gears you go when testing it,the tighter/looser it will become. You know how when you rock it back and forth to see if it is in neutral and the bike will roll a little bit each way? That is it. Typical drivetrain slop,i believe. That primary sprocket cover is not terribly difficult to remove. It would not be a bad idea to pull that cover off and make sure the sprocket is tight on the output shaft,but chances are you are just feeling the slack that is inherent in the gearbox. Any manual tranny,car or bike,will have some internal slack in them. The oil has to fit in there somewhere!

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

Bytio
Hi
There should be a small amount of movement on the front
sprocket, the noise you have may be an unevenly worn chain, in that it has the correct slack at one point but turn the wheel some and the chain will go tight. Always adjust chain at tightest spot, and if he play is too much at the loose part, then replace the chain and consinsider replacing the sprockets, the standard chain on the F2 was a 630 I would reccomend changingg to a 530 during
David
wes

i like fat chicks
wes

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

wes
well 2 or three days turned out to be a month. i figured out that whoever tried to adjust the chain had the rear end crooked as can be. i wonder who that was?i got it straight and the noise, vibration is gone. now seein that front sprocket is showing signs of wear. its gotta lil saw like look to it. ive asked aroud here and have been told that new chain and sprockets can be had for under $150. i have few tools and am wondering how hard they would be to put on myself. also, my rear break isnt working like it should, barely workin at all. not sure where to start with that. is there a video someone can point me too that shows how to properly inspect breaks?? what to look for ? thanks for all the input guys!
With my opinion and your knowledge, we can change the world.
KEEP YOUR FISTS UP, FOR BALANCE AND PROTECTION!!!
i like fat chicks

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

Changing the chain, and sprockets is very easy on these bikes, especially if you have a center stand.. For the breaks, I would first try flushing the system with fresh fluid.

wes

i like fat chicks
wes

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

wes
now this is the kinda stuff that scares me. i cant belive i was lookin at takin headder off when all i need is to take off tail pipe.
With my opinion and your knowledge, we can change the world.
KEEP YOUR FISTS UP, FOR BALANCE AND PROTECTION!!!
i like fat chicks

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

yeah.That happens sometimesBut you DID figure it out,thats all that matters

Re: chain noise, sprocket movement????

Thorby
I agree with Shiny, my chain also made an unnerving "growl" last time I tightened too much.  Felt like the front sprocket bearing was going to give up on me.  Slacking it back up to 1 inch in play fixed that.
Proud owner of stock '76 CB750.