cleaning muffler

borissytch
I'm looking for an advise how to clean the rust off the muffler.
It's just been welded and I don't mean it to be like new, but a bit cleaner and shinier.
Is there a cheap polish for that out there? I guess I need to sand paper it before anyway.

thanks for your advises!
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: cleaning muffler

sgtslag
I would use a brass, wire brush, initially, but go lightly, using an electric drill.  If you have a moto-tool (Dremel), put it aside, as it will spin very fast (likely a minimum RPM of 1,000...), removing too much, too fast.  After that, you will need to cover the bare metal, to avoid additional rusting.  There is high-temperature chrome paint out there, or you can make it all black.  Search the Internet for information, and resources.  Try searching on removing rust from chrome, specifically, and see what you can find.  Cheers!

Re: cleaning muffler

Half-Caf
I typically use extra fine steel wool and some elbow grease. It not only removes the rust, but gives it a nice shine, too.
Just keep in mind that anything you do is essentially removing small amounts of your chrome -better safe than sorry!
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: cleaning muffler

rrgunslinger
800 grit sandpaper should polish it up also.
American by birth. Cowboy by choice! Vero Beach, FL http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/grandpaslinger/HD%20Road%20Glide/IMAG0046.jpg

Re: cleaning muffler

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Piute-putt-1977-CB-750-F2-td3196204i20.html#a3288327

Re: cleaning muffler

lobster
get some super fine steel wool #ooo and some mineral spirits.
Monrovia California
1978 CB 750F
1964 305 CA77

Re: cleaning muffler

Hoosier Daddy
Depends on if you want to clean it to keep the chrome or prep it for recoating.
 To clean it, use 0000 (4 ought) steel wool and the turtle wax chrome polish Piute showed you.
You need to be regularly turning the steel wool to keep it fresh as the debris it picks up in the cleaning will cause scratches. The Chrome polish not only lubricates, it has phosphoric acid in it that helps remove the rust, leaves a protective coating to keep the rust from returning. Anything more coarse or abrasive will scratch the chrome.
 Now if the chrome is too far gone, and you want to remove the rust in order to recoat them. Be it high temp paint or ceramic coating, have them sandblasted. That not only removes all the rust but leaves a nice texture for the coating to grip to. I have used Rustoleum Bar-B-Q black with good results.
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / CafeĀ“
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: cleaning muffler

     The brush is a stiff 1/2 inch nylon bristle ,Wal-mart cheapo,on the strong chrome like exhaust collars used brass tooth brush,If rust is bad as mentioned some Rustolium will do wonders,Is what i used and then put a nice new/used chrome heat shield over it,wont melt her boot to bad,actually hasn't.