hi and a story

cb shwank
This post was updated on .
high erbody. i am new to the forum. i have been reading alot aboot the all the carb issues, as those are my current hang ups. just thought i would post and get my jingle jangle out there. i will start with a story.  i bought a 77 cb750f. fastest one i had ever owned! i made a stainless straight pipe for it and that mother screamed! i was worried every second i rode it (cops and all). any way i traded it for a brand new washer and dryer as a wedding present to my wife. i got a good deal, front load man! that  deal was with my dad and he sold it to my nephews buddy, at a loss...?  my nephew dumped it one day on a corner, so they say. picked the bike up, started it and it instantly started reving up.  they parked the bike for a year and i bought it back for $225. i kick started the bike in the barn, it reved up, and i drove it on the trailor.  got it home thinking it was just a carb issue. tore off the carbs to clean then and noticed they were open way past idle. crank on the throtle rail and a little rod fell out... crap! look in the engine and at the #3...all i saw was metal chips. so sad. the #3 and 4 exhast cam towers had snapped off letting the valves free and most of the lock nuts were missing along with the #3 intake valve.
soo anyway. i cant beleive it ran so strong on 2 and a half cylinders.
this one will sit on the self for a while.
i hope i can post a pick of my current cb.78 cb750
wisconsin

Re: hi and a story

Re: hi and a story

cb shwank
the red one isnt the one that is shot, thats my daily rider.  the one that is shot, i figure will be a good start for my first engine tear down. i dont have anything to lose, rather i have parts to gain.
wisconsin

Re: hi and a story

"i dont have anything to lose, rather i have parts to gain." I like the way you think "Parts is parts"
You might like this video of a top end rebuild. I sure did
TOOLS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ll19_DSkTM

Re: hi and a story

cb shwank
i will have to pick up some rye!
wisconsin

Re: hi and a story

Hell, I'll come, and watch you work on it for beer

Re: hi and a story

cb shwank
pbr, warm blatz, hamms, coors original, or my special home brew, but i only have 10 gallons.
wisconsin

Re: hi and a story

Only 10 gallons? Won't leave much, for you

wes

Re: hi and a story

wes
i love some homebrew. nice bike. cant wait to get a pic of mine on here.
With my opinion and your knowledge, we can change the world.
KEEP YOUR FISTS UP, FOR BALANCE AND PROTECTION!!!
i like fat chicks

Re: hi and a story

Hey guys!   New guy here     thanks for the link to the video            helped me out alot     ive never seen inside one of these motors before       now i have alot better understanding of how they work        couple questions though        why didnt they clean all that carbon off those pistons?        what is the big fear of the cam chain falling off?    cant you just slip it back on?         what is the deal with replacing the engine studs?        Thanks

Re: hi and a story

I will see if I can answer your questions. First the carbon on the pistons. Did you notice all the adult beverages? Second if the cam chain falls, it is a real bear to get back on. You would probably need to remove the chain tension-er, and guides to put it back on. Lastly the engine studs. They stretch, and a lot of people believe they should be replaced. I have never rebuilt one of these engines, but I have done a lot of head jobs (no smart ass remarks needed) on other engines where it was recommended to replace studs/bolts, and never did it. Never had a problem.

Re: hi and a story

cb shwank
i like the vid but they never said word one about the timing after you get the cam back in... you must have to set that in the same way it came out with reguards to what valves were open n junk.
wisconsin

Re: hi and a story

Thank you TOOLS1    and yes   i understand what you mean about the adult beverages     maybe they thought the carbon build would help increase compression???

Re: hi and a story

Just set the cam with the timing marks. You can find them in the manual.

Re: hi and a story

cb shwank
ah, no shit huh? thanks, that 12 hrs of drinking yesturday slow brain down.
wisconsin