my next project

duluth dog
Well I've officially given up on my '77 cb750, I know sad day. But with far too many problems that need fixing with the engine and electrics and not enough time and money to put into completely rebuilding it from the bottom up, I was thinking of other fun things I could try.  after all the time I’ve spent with this bike I don’t just want to throw it out but I also don’t want to just put another old engine back into it.  I was thinking of trying an engine swap but using a much newer engine, preferably one with fuel injection (carbs are just a pain). Just wondering if anyone has done anything like this or has any tips/tricks as to what I should look into. I’m in no hurry to get this bike done and am thinking of just trying to have fun and gain experience with this project.
oil stained brain
peace and grease
it doesn't leak oil, it sweats horsepower

Re: my next project

Man, I get the money thing for sure. I have heard of people putting different engines in, I don't have any real details though. Your carbs though, are slide carbs and shouldn't be too difficult, cv carbs can really suck though.

If I were to try a different engine, the frame would probably work best with an i-4 engine. Though, I think an engine that isn't used as a stressed member would work better. Either way, it will be some work and you'll be welding and such. So, an i-4 600cc engine could probably be stuffed in without too much issue.
You'll end up needed all the electrics to run things.

Re: my next project

Shove a twin cylinder 2 stroke in it?

Lately I am interested in Suzuki's T500 engine. Handsome, compact little engine.

Not fuel infected, but bonehead simple carbs on those bikes. Super thin and light engines compared to CB fours. Only made ~60hp in stock trim, but will put out 75+ with a decent set of pipes. 75+hp or 2 stroke hp is FUN! That engine would fit in the frame eeeeasy and the sound alone would be a huge head turner. Kick start only. Never have to adjust a valve again.  Probably not what you want, but I can't get the thought outta my own head.