questions on my 78 750k (my first bike)

badgerandblade
so i bought my first bike yesterday, and am having fun tooling around, getting a feel for her, but ive got some questions. getting the bad boy into first is proveing to be hit and miss, im haveing to give it alot of gas, and clutch it a few times, and when ive got it going it seems to idle a little fast, (7-8 mph) and im getting well over 20 in first before it time to shift. i noticed the sprocket has been switched out for a bigger one, would this explain my problems, if so what size sprocket would you guys recomend for a bike thats going to see mostly city driveing, (minneapolis) and is there any other matinence you would recomend right off the bat? thanks guys

Re: questions on my 78 750k (my first bike)

Ohhbob
I'd try adjusting the clutch lever free play - my manual says about .1 inches - to make sure your disengaging fully.  Also, since it's a wet clutch, an oil change could help too.