rear end check up

borissytch
Hello,
I'm back to restoring/preparing my bike. Now I'm up to the rear end of it.
I want to make sure that the rear breaks are fine and the bearings and, basically that it's safe to ride.
Do I need to take the rear wheel off for the inspection of all parts? What would be the general procedure?

i would appreciate any guiding and directions, where to start from and at what to pay attention.

thank you very much!
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: rear end check up

Piute
  Hello
I see you have a Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83 , pretty new (compared to mile's per year)how many on theee speedo
What I did was put on center stand GRABBED TIRE and felt for EXTRA play in swing-am witch would be/fill like a binding when jerking back N forth.But my main rule of thumb is if you think of it and can afford it CHANGE IT  One of the greatest fillings in the world(to me) is the freedom of riding ,but MUST have no worries of Lil prob's with bike,no abnormal ticks or rattles ,   Your brakes of course is very important do everything to get it perfect,
   Tire pressure come in very much here can fill the slightest wobble if low keep that gauge on the bike at all times.

  1 last thing look at gear(rear wheel) the top of teeth(tooth) should be FLAT not pointed at all ,best to look at new gear (on line close up) to get the idea,if it's bad change chain and gears YES both.

Re: rear end check up

You really should remove the wheel to do a through inspection. Look at the bearings to make sure they have grease, and are clean. Stick your finger in them, and rotate them. They should turn free without any binding. If the bike has not been abused, and the bearings greased properly, they should be good, for 100,000 miles, or more.

Re: rear end check up

borissytch
Thanks!
How do you guys clean the chain?
The manual suggest to brush it with kerosene. Do you take it off or clean it on the bike?
My friend suggests I soak the chain in kerosene for a day.

The bike hasn't been ridden for pretty long time, at least 10 months that I know, but maybe much longer - I don't know PPO and the bike has 24 000 km on the speedometer
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: rear end check up

You can buy chain cleaner in a spray can at any Motorcycle shop. Just spray it on, and the gunk will just fall off.

Re: rear end check up

borissytch
do you think WD-40 would do?
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: rear end check up

borissytch wrote
do you think WD-40 would do?
Does it stick, or squeak? If not, then no.

Re: rear end check up

borissytch
darn! I did spray it already with wd-40! Why is it bad?
The chain was quite dirty though

by the way, I wanted to get a closer look at the bearings, but apparently there needs to be a special wrench to take the driven flange off. So I decided not to bother since I didn't notice anything abnormal with the wheel

thanks!
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: rear end check up

Because my chain is stk.and has no master link I cleaned while on bike with W-D 40 and brush,then soak in heated motor oil couple days.,was a mess but no prob ,seemed to work and using a o-rallies spray on foam lube for 'o'ring chains,

Re: rear end check up

borissytch
I feel like an idiot, but I need to ask this:
how do I check the rear break shoes? I mean first, how do I get to see them?
I removed the rear wheel, tried to remove the axle (like the manual says) but it's stuck half way.... Should I knock it out hard? I'm afraid to damage it by being ignorant and too eager...

Do I really need to remove the axle every time I want to check the rear breaks? Sounds too complicated, doesn't it?

thanks!
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: rear end check up

borissytch

OK, I didn't take the axle off the wheel, but somehow the drum's cover came off on its own while I was flipping the wheel around. So now I can see the shoes

I just looked carefully at the tire with a magnifying glass and here what it looks like

the last three digits on the tire DOT stamp say 435. I guess that's the date - either 1995 or even 1985 (!!!)
Am I right thinking that this tire must go to the garbage immediately? I thought to keep it on until I can try the engine around the house... But now it looks really bad to me.

Question about the drum: should I clean it inside? Or just leave it and not mess with it at all?
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: rear end check up

borissytch
Question to Piute:
here is what my sprocket looks like:

It looks fine to me. What do you think?

thanks!
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: rear end check up

robs750
The tire is no good,replace because of cracks.

The sprocket looks worn to me.

Remove the wheel, and clean the hub inside and out.Check the bearings as said before.

I used sand paper on the brake drum to remove glaze,also on the shoes if they are still good.
Make sure the cam operates smoothly.Disasemble and lube if needed.

Before installing axle,clean it with scotchbrite or fine sandpaper.Apply a light coat of antisieze to it before assembly.

Re: rear end check up

   With your nightHawk ,
 I couldn't say cause size of chain size unknown,If that were a 630 gear for a 630 chain that would be broke already worn alot if were the case.
  In any case does look worn.but seen lots worse.It will wear a good chain fast if worn to bad Ya-No.