spin on filter

wingman1946
For the CB750K.  Can anyone give a straight forward answer as to whether there is a good spin on filter and where it can be had? I'm not having much luck searching.

Re: spin on filter

seestheday
Dohc or sohc? I know for the dohc you can buy an adapter kit to get them to work.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: spin on filter

Once you have an adapter, any spin-on car filter, with the correct threads, will work.  I purchased an adapter from a machine shop, now out of business.  I had to cut off 1/4" from the filter boss, to allow the adapter to snug up to the block.  Once done, it worked perfectly.  Highly recommended upgrade.  Check CycleX for an adapter.  Cheers!

Re: spin on filter

wingman1946
Thanks bud I'll check it out.

On 1/18/2013 6:41 AM, sgtslag [via Honda CB750'S] wrote:
Once you have an adapter, any spin-on car filter, with the correct threads, will work.  I purchased an adapter from a machine shop, now out of business.  I had to cut off 1/4" from the filter boss, to allow the adapter to snug up to the block.  Once done, it worked perfectly.  Highly recommended upgrade.  Check CycleX for an adapter.  Cheers!

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/spin-on-filter-tp4035398p4035405.html
To unsubscribe from spin on filter, click here.
NAML

Re: spin on filter

Hoosier Daddy
This post was updated on .
Like this?
Notice the SOHC and DOHC have the same part # in the descriptions I posted...

www.vintagecb750.com Oil Filter

Chrome Spin On Oil Filter
 Replaces Stock OEM Housing, Filter Bolt and Paper Element Filter.

Fits: Honda CB750K (1979-82),
 CB750F (1979-82) Supersport,
 CB750L (1979) Limited,
 CB750C (1980-82) Custom
 Part #: 15-1006
 Price US$18.00 ea

Fits: Honda CB750K (1969-78),
 CB750F (1975-76) Supersport,
 CB750A (1976-78) Hondamatic
 Part #: 15-1006
  Price US$18.00 ea

...or this

http://www.randakks.com oil filter adapter

Standard Oil Filter Conversion Kit
A - Honda CB 750 (1970-83)

Any 3/4"-16 threads and a seal diameter of 3 inches or less will work.
•WIX 51348
•CarQuest 85348 (Blue Box premium model made by WIX...same as WIX 51348)
•NAPA Gold 1348 (made by WIX...same as WIX 51348)

•Simple 20-minute, "once and done" installation
•Screws into existing oil filter bolt hole
•Machined from T-6 aluminum with highly polished finish
•Instructions included
•Permits the use of these economical, readily available auto spin-on filters (not included in kit)
•Adapter-to-engine block o-ring seal included
•Modern filters incorporate anti-drain back valve (not in OEM design)
•Many feel that modern filters offer a more reliable pressure relief valve than the OEM design.

81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: spin on filter

wingman1946
I would jump on these in a sec but it would be 31 bucks each oil change. Spendy way to go if you were changing oil very often. Still it is a nice looking unit.  The 2nd looks better price wise. Are you using either?

Re: spin on filter

Hoosier Daddy
Nope, no experiance with either...sorry.
Just remember seeing them in my shopping adventures on the web.
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: spin on filter

The second adapter is very similar to what I had on mine:  works the same way, only real difference is mine had passages for an oil cooler, and a temperature/pressure sending unit.  The lower unit has been for sale since I got my CB750K, back in 2006 -- which is when I started looking for mod-parts.  If I were in the position of having a CB again, I'd buy that adapter in a second -- I loved being able to use a spin-on filter, and I could buy the different grades of filter, to go with my synthetic oil, allowing me to go 5,000-7,000 miles between changes.

Anyway, the lower unit is reliable, simple, and virtually foolproof.  You will only need to change out the large O-ring once in a very long while, maybe every five years, to be safe.  Once the adapter is tightened into place, the large O-ring will have very little surface area exposed to either air, or oil.  The real advantage is not so much the time savings, and the ease of changing the filter out, but rather the freedom to choose different filter grades, and types, along with the back-flow valve, which doesn't exist in the OEM setup.

You will need to carefully measure filter heights, as it will shift it forward, with the adapter -- closer to the front tire.  Different filters will have different heights, widths, and threads -- keep a list of car models, if you can, as that is another way to know which filters will fit, besides the specific model number.  If you need a filter, and they don't have Acme Model XYZ, tell them the car model, and they'll come back with Delta Model FGH, which fits 'that type of car'...  Cheers!