trying to make air pods work what size jets should I use?

trying to make air pods work what size jets should I use?

KTL79CB750
MY 79 CB750KL
I have been going at this project for a few weeks now. Got the body made and the paint done. Now I am trying to tackle the Carb issue, The guy I picked it up from removed the air box and had the carbs jetted. I thought it might just need cleaning and maybe synced but as I dig I am learning some interesting things.
I don't think the person that jetted the carbs was very experienced. ( not that I am much more certified ) It is my first build with four carbs. I am ok on v twins and some smaller bikes. I am crazy with dirt bikes but damn I will beat this one or die trying!
The guy that jetted the bike put 125s and 98s don't the stock ones I believe are 102s and 68s  that's a big difference!
I have the original air box but like the look of pods, is there a sure fix to the problem without putting the airbox back on?

Re: trying to make air pods work what size jets should I use?

There is not any books, or even tables on what jet to use for what and when. Jetting will very between two engines set up identically. You will need to ride it and do many plug readings to determine what jets will be needed. However the pilot jets you have now are on the rich side. Even for pods. You might want to check out Shinyribs water buffalo build thread. He had good luck jetting for pods, but discovered that the bike had more power on the lower end, and wheelied a lot better with the stock airbox.

Re: trying to make air pods work what size jets should I use?

Pods look great, but the stock airbox kicksa$$. Honestly. You won't regret it.

In the long run, I didn't ever get to ride the bike for about a year because i was determined to make pods work. I didn't have the money to pony up for CR's, got tired of seeing it sit, so I just sold the bike. The new owner hasn't got it running either.

Re: trying to make air pods work what size jets should I use?

I just noticed he has a DOHC. I thought it was a SOHC, so forget everything I said earlier. Pods will NOT work CORRECTLY with the CV carbs on the DOHC.

Re: trying to make air pods work what size jets should I use?

KTL79CB750
Thanks for the information. I am going to go grab a bunch of different sizes and just go through them until I find what works. I had a feeling that the 125s just didn't seem right way too much gas. I am going to start with 110s and go up from there. I was told to do 110s with 75s and tape up the pods 3/4 of the way. Still don't know how that's going to work with the foam air pods but I will try anything if it will get the bike to run and I don't have to put the air box back on.

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 8:59 PM, TOOLS1 [via Honda CB750'S] <[hidden email]> wrote:

There is not any books, or even tables on what jet to use for what and when. Jetting will very between two engines set up identically. You will need to ride it and do many plug readings to determine what jets will be needed. However the pilot jets you have now are on the rich side. Even for pods. You might want to check out Shinyribs water buffalo build thread. He had good luck jetting for pods, but discovered that the bike had more power on the lower end, and wheelied a lot better.

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/trying-to-make-air-pods-work-what-size-jets-should-I-use-tp4061332p4061333.html
To unsubscribe from trying to make air pods work what size jets should I use?, click here.
NAML

Re: trying to make air pods work what size jets should I use?

Pods "can" work, however, most pople put a lot of time and money into getting them to work, only to discover that the pods actually end up delivering less performance at any rpm range except maybe wot. The reason people tape pods, This helps bring back some of the vacuum lost, which is what cv carbs need to operate properly. You'd likely be better off just slapping on some velocity stacks and making covers that go over the opening, to reduce the size of the opening. If I were you, for sanity sake, I would go back to the airbox. Otherwise, I'd find a set of slide carbs to use instead of the cv carbs. Those WILL work with pods, you still won't gain anything really, but they will work. CR carbs are just a higher performance version of slide carbs.

Re: trying to make air pods work what size jets should I use?

KTL79CB750
Ok but honestly I am not concerned about performance I was planning on selling when it runs better and at least idles. I may go back to original. If I was going to keep it for me I would just order a new CR carb set up. I am not trying to sink any more money into this bike. if it was a 73 sohc I would keep it probably.

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/trying-to-make-air-pods-work-what-size-jets-should-I-use-tp4061332p4061341.html