wiring a new headlight?????

seaofsin22
Hello, bought this after market headlight and wondered whats the best way to rig the wires up.. thanks for any info

Re: wiring a new headlight?????

White is your low beam.
The blue wires are High Beam, and High Beam indicator.
The green goes to ground.

Re: wiring a new headlight?????

seaofsin22
Should I just splice them together??  Thanks

Re: wiring a new headlight?????

If you can, use the connector. However splicing them will work just fine. I like to use the weather proof heat shrink connectors myself.

Re: wiring a new headlight?????

seaofsin22
yeah the connectors are different sizes... why would the wires from the control have 2 green and 2 blue??  The headlight only has one of each so do i splice the 2 from the control wire to the 1 from the headlight.  The headlight did not come with any wire diagram and it also has an extra brown with a white line wire????

Re: wiring a new headlight?????

Do not know about the brown wire. But it has two blue wires because one goes to the High Beam indicator light. Tow greens is in case you want to ground something else with it. I would just pull the plug off the new headlight, and remove those wires from the new housing. Then insert the old headlight plug into the new housing, and plug it onto the new light. All headlight connectors are the same, so it should plug right on.

Re: wiring a new headlight?????

seaofsin22
I ended up just switching the bulb!

Re: wiring a new headlight?????

Well,that's one way,I suppose. haha

The two browns on the factory wiring was for the gauge lights. One of the browns shot to them off the headlight.

Re: wiring a new headlight?????

seaofsin22
Hello everyone, I've hit a wall putting the bike back together and I'm still stuck on the wiring...  giving me huge headaches..

I'm trying to add LED blinkers going from stock 3 wire to new 2 wire.  Does anyone know the best way to do this???  I have plugged new wires in and they have a light, they just done blink and they light turns off when the switch is activated.
The headlight has never worked.. I took out the bulbs from the new headlight case and hooked up the old bulb so i didnt have to cut any wires but the light never came on.

Battery is new and fully charged.

I can put the new bulb back into the headlight casing.  There are 2 bulbs.

One big bulb has 1 blue, 1 green, and 1 white wire.  Low beam???
The little bulb has a green, and a stripped brown.  pictures above. High beam??

The old wire harness has 2 blue wires.  Do I splice the one new blue to the 2 blue wire harness?
And the white wire to the brown striped??....

Thanks for any input.  I'm assuming I have to get a LED flasher of some sort, just dont know if this would help the headlight.  I dont feel like cutting wires but will if I have to.

Re: wiring a new headlight?????

You do need an LED flasher, but it will have nothing to do with the headlight. Have you checked to make sure the headlight is getting proper ground? Your headlight does not have a ground at the socket for the bulb, and it is being insulated by the glass headlight housing. You will need to ground the socket to a green ground wire in the headlight harness.

Re: wiring a new headlight?????

seaofsin22
Thanks Tools, there is a extra ground I can plug into on the wiring harness.  I have connectors to plug it into the ground but how do I wire it to the socket and where?  Any chance you could use the picture as reference.  Im having a hard time visualizing it.  Thanks, Jimmy

Re: wiring a new headlight?????

Thorby
Ugh, I know my comment won't be any help but when I looked inside my headlight casing it was a jumbled mess of different colored wires.  The motorcycle electrical guy did the work of figuring that mess out for a small fee.
Proud owner of stock '76 CB750.

Re: wiring a new headlight?????

Try attaching it to one of those screws that hold the retaining clip.

Re: wiring a new headlight?????

seaofsin22
This post was updated on .
Hello, I bought an LED Flasher and that did the trick.  All 4 blinkers blink.

I still cannot get the main headlight to work.  I cut open the wires at the connection from the main harness and checked them using a circuit tester and they are not getting any power.

Any ideas why this could happen or what I'm missing?  I feel like everything is plugged in.  I swapped out the fuses and verified them they work.  So other than the main fuse could something else be out?

Thanks everyone!