1979 Cb750L Page

Wolfman
Hello,

I just make a Facebook page for all the 1979 CB750L "10 Year Anniversary" edition left running in the US, I know they only made 5000 back in '79 and I would like to know how many are still running to this day. Plus, it will be a great conversion piece saying that Less then XX of our bikes are still being ridden today. So just visit the page and join, that's it!

If your not from the US, and have one of these bikes still join and post where your from, then we'll have a worldwide count.

1979 CB750L Limited edtion bike page

Thank you
________________________

1979 Cb750L 10 yr anniversary edition

Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

vern401
Good idea... Are you going to post the results when info collecting is done?

Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

Wolfman
yeah, currently we have 3, including myself. I'm hoping that thru this forum and others that I posted on will bring in more and in hopes that the ones that join post on the forums they go on and so on and so on. I also made it search-able so if anyone on FB searches for CB750L will find us.

I'm excited to see how many of us are there.
________________________

1979 Cb750L 10 yr anniversary edition

Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

vern401
It sure will be. I dont have one but I do have the last year they put a SOHC in the Super Sports.

Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

RobM
I have a 79' 750 LTD it was my dad's in 84'.  It sat for many years in my grandpa's garage after my dad died and had minimal run time since 84'. It was residing in Detroit, MI, where I'm from, but now it is with me in Vancouver, BC. I have to do some work on it though I think the cam chain is gone. I plan to rebuild the bike and restore is to it's former glory by next spring.  It's great to know there are more bikes like this out there, they are great looking bikes.

RM (Van, BC)

Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

Wolfman
well if you have a Facebook page, please join by the link above or below and post pics of your bike.
________________________

1979 Cb750L 10 yr anniversary edition

Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

SickCBeez
 I have a 750Ltd (maroon) - which other than engine mods is stock -like the 4-4 exhaust look - enjoy the power and throttle response - needs new side badges(if u know of somewhere please post)- and a good polish on chrome or re-chrome, Also looking to lower and get diff. bars and controls (foot/hand) maybe fab up some forward controls as well.  Glad to some more - please post your struggles as I will...
Locked n Loaded!
CB's by Patrick

Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

I own a '79 K model.  However, I did see an L being ridden in my town just a few days ago.  I was quite shocked to see it.  It looked stock, but it also looked old and worn.  Too bad, really.

My K was acquired four years ago, with 9,7XX miles on it.  Today it has 22,XXX on it.  The 4-4 has one muffler taped, due to rust, and I have added an oil cooler to it (this past Spring), along with some touring mod's (saddlebags, Progressive Suspension both front and rear).  I love that bike!  It is a wonderful piece of machinery.  Last year, my wife and I rode it around Lake Superior, 1,936 miles in all.  The only mechanical mishap we had was when the throttle grip came off in my hand, in our hotel parking lot, in Thunder Bay.  We visited the local Harley shop, and they provided us with a solvent-soaked rag to remove the old glue, along with a tube of adhesive to restore the grip -- we were only delayed by maybe two hours in all.  Canada was cold (mid 50's F), raining every day, and really a lousy four-day ride, but the bike performed flawlessly.  That trip was the very best so far, in spite of the rain and cold, the scenery, and the people, more than made up for the weather...  Would take that trip again, in a heartbeat -- but this time, we would have better rain gear, and thermal clothing too!

The L's were almost identical to the K's, weren't they?  Was there more than the badges, Com-Star rims, and dual horns, that made the L's different than the K's?  Any idea how many K's were produced that year?  Cheers!

Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

Walt Williams
HI guys, what a great Idea to have a page for the CB  750 L's . I just found one the other day in a guys garage. Have it torn down now going through it , need a few things as you can emagine. I know finding a good 4 into 4 is hard but if anyone has one or can direct me that would be great.  on that note I did find pretty nice left  side only  4 into 4 for a 78 cb750 k  I grabbed it  and it cleaned up real nice. I havent tried yet to see if will fit the L model yet . if it doesnt maybe someone could use it.

My wish list other than the 4 into 4

complete head light jug and mounting hardware (removed the  windjammer so there's nothing there)
front  blinkers and mounts
rear blinkers and mounts
chain guard ( with out rust pits)
nice front fender with no dents

Also the bike came with a 3 piece Honda line luggage set that is in nice shape , I'm thinking it was added to the bike some yrs latter , would be interested in selling it or trade ?

I also have a nice 80 cb 750 custom I have had for 20 yrs , it went through a flood 3 yrs a go on the washington coast I cried after throwing up, BUT ITS BACK !!  these bikes die hard !!

anyway thanks for listening, happy ridding and restoring

Walt

Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

Thanks for posting, Walt.

I'm not sure the 78 exhaust will fit on the 79 motor.  Unless I'm mistaken, 78 is SOHC and 79 is DOHC. Re-run would probably know for sure.

Pieces parts...that's when the fun begins. I think my bike had the fairing at one time, as the headlight bucket says Vetter on it. I can't get all the wiring inside there like you can with the original bucket. So I wrapped it nicely, and so far it's been OK. Now the great parts hunt begins. I think you'll be able to find all those parts at MC junkyards or EBay. Condition may be a variable, though.  It may be easier/cheaper to find a whole bike via the classifieds (newspaper or maybe craigslist.com). Some forum guys have 5-6 bikes for parts.  I wish I had the garage space for that. :-)

We're glad you're here.  Keep the group updated, and let us know if we can help.  Also, there's a good factory service manual on this site. Go to the main page, and look in the MANUALs folder. It's pretty big, but it's worth it.

RE: 1979 Cb750L Page

Walt Williams
Thanks  Luke for the info, what a great resore you and all the others that post info,   I have a lot to learn but for some reason this last yr I have become like zero-ed  in on wanting to restore  cb750's. It's totally crazy how you can spend hours cleaning and polishing a part into late hrs of the night  and when your done say  YES and feel so good !!  :-)  knowing as each part is cleaned or found and set aside the exciting day will come to put it all back together again and eventually go for that first ride down the road. Seems to be a great amount of satisfaction  in that Hot smile

Thanks again , happy ridding....... Walt

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 02:31:00 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

[...]

Luke M
Back on 2 wheels (1979 CB750L, 34K miles, all stock) after a 30+ year break. It's still fun, and just as scary as before.  I like it.

RE: 1979 Cb750L Page

Walt Williams
Hi luke , Rerun or anyone who might know, I got a return e-mail from someone who has a 81 custom exhaust 4 to 4 in nice shape,( havent seen a pic yet)  I looked up the part # on bikebandet and there the same on one side but off on the other side does anyone know if they will fit the 80 custom 750 ? or other yrs

Thanks in advance ......... Walt

RE: 1979 Cb750L Page

Walt
I just bought a ragged out (all most rat) 76 Hondamatic that has a 4 into 4 exhaust from a DOHC. Guy told me it took a little persuasion, but went on. I think I would save my nickles and dimes for a MAC.

RE: 1979 Cb750L Page

Walt Williams
Thanks Tools for the come back on the exhaust issue,  I didnt know Mac made a 4 into 4 for the DOCH 750 bikes ?  all I have seen is 4-1 and 4-2's .  I really love the stock 4-4 looks makes my heart beat faster just looking at them. I guess the balanced look is what I would prefer,  Hence the reason for trying to find out which pipe's acually cross with out tweeking them. That is interesting someone  made a SODC FIT A DOHC  how do they look on the bike ?

Walt
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 12:47:47 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

Walt
I just bought a ragged out (all most rat) 76 Hondamatic that has a 4 into 4 exhaust from a DOHC. Guy told me it took a little persuasion, but went on. I think I would save my nickles and dimes for a MAC.

Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

Cb750k
Hey could someone tell me what the difference is between the 1979 cb750k 10th anniversary and cb750L 10th anniversary? I own a 79 cb750 10th anniversary but the id plate says K. I didn't know if it was the same or not. Thanks

Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

SickCBeez
Any of you folks help me with clutch spring/lifter plate tightening specs or a distance they should be off the back of the inner hub?  thank u in advance...Patrick
Locked n Loaded!
CB's by Patrick

Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

Rick
The 750k exhaust will bolt right on if its from the double overhead cam engine....fact

Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

chaos
Ijust bought one the run but needs a lot of work I have carbon ishues, oil seals, and mager eletrical problems. But I ride it and work on it as I go.mine is a bobber.
1979 Cb750l

Re: 1979 Cb750L Page

chaos
my 79cb750l bobber