1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

wiseman
This post was updated on .

Here is some pics of my newest project.   82 F2 model
Pics are as i picked it up, off the trailer, and sprayed with WD40, for the corrosion.
Not many of these left around with the full fairing intact.
This one is in fine cosmetic condition, i would say has been sitting in storage for many years.
I managed to get the motor running briefly,  no rattles or knocks.
The rest is mainly all the rubber seals, o rings, and hoses that have perished.
Carby kit is going in now,  so i can run the motor before i go any further.
All brake calipers are seized,  as is the master cylinders, both front and rear.
Back shocks are blown.
No battery.

But not to bad overall.  My plan is to restore and keep for a while.

Anyone eles interested in the fairing model, have one, or know anyone who has?

 A motorcycle enthusiast with 35 + years of road riding experience, all makes and models.
Location Australia

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

Beautiful bike you have there! Welcome to the forum. Good luck getting her up and going again.That just looks like one comfy cruiser

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

That's the first one I have seen with the factory fairing, and bags. Cool find!!.

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

cityslicker
thats the first one I have seen with a full fairing that I didn't think was ugly as fuck. it's just kinda ugly.
otherwise nice bike. I H8 fairings.

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

Contrary to a lot of folks on this forum, I really like stock, or at least APJB's that get modded to touring duties.  This is one I've not seen before.  I like it!  I'd say it was Honda's early attempt at sport touring -- a recognized, respected, and very enthusiastic niche in the hobby, today.

It would not take too much effort, or money, to restore this to near-new condition.  With all due respect, if you do not plan to keep it stock/restore it, please sell it to someone who will restore it, or at least give it the maintenance it deserves, while riding the rims off of it!  Just my opinion...  As requested.  Cheers!

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

That looks a lot like an old police bike.  Any chance it has an upgraded alternator/battery/charging_system? I would expect there to be some holes in the fiberglass somewhere, if they were mounting lights and antenna and stuff.

Very good looking machine, and should be a great project for wintertime.  Have fun, and keep us in the loop.

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

City,you know i threw my fairing away,but this one looks like it fits the bike,unlike the vetters. Im just imagining how nice that fairing would have been this winter cruising at 70 mph at 25 degrees.

I agree with Sarge,if you sell it I REALLY hope it is to someone that will not cut it up. I'd suggest keep it and enjoy it?

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

Piute
 hAS a 500X LOOK TO IT

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

It is really fun to look over your bike, and see just how Honda mod'ed the basic, DOHC K model, to turn it into this sport touring machine:  moved the driver's foot pegs back to give them a more aggressive, forward leaning, riding position; added ComStar rims (I assume they're tubeless); dual disc brakes up front, for additional stopping power; rear disc brake replacing the drum; saddlebags; a nice, low, fairing, to provide just enough wind deflection, while still providing the rider with shielding -- and mounted to the frame, not the forks(!), which greatly improves handling in crosswinds; knee pads built into the factory fairing lowers, which protects the rider's legs from wind, and weather, while maintaining the sportiness of the bike, overall.  Very nice design work from Honda, back in the day.

The CB750 was, and still is, a great bike for touring, even two-up.  It is small enough to handle really well in town driving, yet powerful enough for riding on the highways, two-up, with luggage (not so much on Interstates, though).  My wife and I toured on ours for a couple of years, before we bought our big, heavy, and oh-so-comfortable Voyager touring machine.  The Voyager is incredible, but it is much larger, and a fair bit more challenging to handle in town.  The CB750 is a great compromise between tour riding, and town riding:  it does both well enough, but it does not excel in either one; it is a wonderful all-around bike, on paved roadways.

This really is a nice specimen of bike history.  The CB750 platform went through a lot of modifications, and alterations, over its long life.  It really is a treat to see the different iterations of it, and this is one I had not known about before you posted.  I really appreciate your sharing it with us.  Great photo's!  Thank you.

By the way, what are the two gauges located within the fairing, just above the speedometer/tachometer?  Inquiring minds want to know...

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

wiseman
Hi all, and thanks for the interest i have received so far!
This was a common model for Australia, back in the day.  I think the full fairing model was only available in 1981 - 1982?
My mate had a new one in 1982, while i had a 1982 Kawasaki Z650, i always wanted one of these Honda's!
I know they are rare these days to find in this condition, without crash damage.
I only wish it still had the original exhaust, but the first thing most of us did back then, was take it off, and put the 4 into 1 on it.

I'm so looking forward to getting this beast back on the road, and doing some touring on it.

The two gauges mounted in the fairing, are a Volt Meter, and a Quartz Clock, both Genuine Honda brand.
I have on order a replacement Speedo and Tacho Cluster, as the one on there is incorrect.

I have lots more pictures to post as i get on with the job,
And also lots of Questions to ask.
 A motorcycle enthusiast with 35 + years of road riding experience, all makes and models.
Location Australia

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

wiseman
Piute wrote
hAS a 500X LOOK TO IT
Refresh my memory,   a 500X ?
 A motorcycle enthusiast with 35 + years of road riding experience, all makes and models.
Location Australia

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

wiseman
sgtslag wrote
By the way, what are the two gauges located within the fairing, just above the speedometer/tachometer?  Inquiring minds want to know...
Standard issue with the fairing model,  comes a Volt Meter, and a Clock, both Honda branded.
I will post some pics with the correct Speedometer Cluster once it arrives.
The one i found to replace it, is still not 100% original, as it has both miles and kilometers on it,
Australia models had only Kilometers on the Speedo.
The speedo on there now only goes up to 160KM, and these things do 205KM
 A motorcycle enthusiast with 35 + years of road riding experience, all makes and models.
Location Australia

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

wiseman
shinyribs wrote
I agree with Sarge,if you sell it I REALLY hope it is to someone that will not cut it up. I'd suggest keep it and enjoy it?
This one i plan to keep it and enjoy it.
 A motorcycle enthusiast with 35 + years of road riding experience, all makes and models.
Location Australia

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

wiseman
LukeM wrote
That looks a lot like an old police bike.  Any chance it has an upgraded alternator/battery/charging_system? I would expect there to be some holes in the fiberglass somewhere, if they were mounting lights and antenna and stuff.

Very good looking machine, and should be a great project for wintertime.  Have fun, and keep us in the loop.

Luke M
At first i thought this could be an ex police bike,  no visible mods to the charging system.
It does have a wiring harness in the fairing that goes nowhere?
However, it makes me wonder why the original speedo and tacho were removed?
If it was an ex police, it would have had a custom Police Speedo on it. (could have been sold off)?
I read somewhere, the Honda Police Bikes had the letter P after the serial number, frame #.
This i have not looked at closely enough.
 A motorcycle enthusiast with 35 + years of road riding experience, all makes and models.
Location Australia

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

500 CX tour turbo

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

wiseman
cityslicker wrote
thats the first one I have seen with a full fairing that I didn't think was ugly as fuck. it's just kinda ugly.
otherwise nice bike. I H8 fairings.
Yep, i have to agree, im not much of a Fairing man myself, but i think this factory one suits the bike pretty well.
 A motorcycle enthusiast with 35 + years of road riding experience, all makes and models.
Location Australia

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

wiseman
Piute wrote

500 CX tour turbo

OK!   CX 500, i know the one. But have never seen the fairing model as you pictured.
Strange how different Countries produce variations of the same model.
The CX 500 i remember, would have been about 1984?
 A motorcycle enthusiast with 35 + years of road riding experience, all makes and models.
Location Australia

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

wiseman
Anyhow, thanks again.
I love to share my bike builds, and will have many more photos and questions

Here is a link to some other bikes i have owned, and or restored.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/wiseman125/
 A motorcycle enthusiast with 35 + years of road riding experience, all makes and models.
Location Australia

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

Piute
  I ride allot and cover lots of ground and crossing states,So weather can change quick so A faring and all the trimmings is in my
" flavor " cause I like it like that,Am making my own design and have different picture's / idea's of what I have to have,I like the way your lower's(leg cvr) look not sure how they mount near foot peg,now there I have to have running boards...Please more picture with your restore,she's A keeper for sure.

Re: 1982 Honda CB750 F2 Full Fairing

Another example of how Australia got all the cool models the States never got to see.Like all the Ute's GM built back in the day.I have a '48 Olds,I found a Ute version of it online one day and almost flipped out! My buddies couldn't understand my excitement."It's basically a '48 Olds El Camino!!!"...the allure was lost on them. That is a very cool,special bike you got there.

BTW,I feel sorry for anyone viewing this page with dial up
123