1983 cb750FC nighthawk

bohemiafens
Love this bike i bought 100 miles away then rode it home. Then the expense and breakdowns on the road, of no charging of the battery dogged it for the whole summer untill the system was fixed by a local Hungarian bike shop in Hayes, London. Rode it all around the place, then after comeing back from the south of Poland, it didn't charge again. Put a new stator, Regulator/rectifier, and rotor on, cleaned all the terminals
plus diaelectric grease,and all connections on the whole bike, put a heavey duty eath lead from the battery to the engine block. It charges a good 14 volts at about 3000 rpm. But after commutting about 5 hours off London traffic the battery is dead. I can't resolve this and now carry a spare battery to work in my rucksack along with my sandwiches.
 Help please Jim Aykroyd.

Re: 1983 cb750FC nighthawk

bohemiafens
Also a big problem since i had it is starting. Battery very good. Fully charged. But after 3 or more days of standing she just won't fire on all cylinders or at all.
 The local bike shop recommended bypassing the pet cock valve. it didn;t work.
 So if i don't start it for half aweek or more the only way to get it to fire up is easy start. Not so good.
 anyone had the same problems and can help?

Re: 1983 cb750FC nighthawk

If you are charging at 14 volts I cannot understand why the battery is going dead. Unless the battery is bad. As for the starting after sitting a few days, the bike shop is on the right track with the gas evaporating from the float bowels and then it taking a while for them to refill. However you could have dirty pilot jets adding to the problem. Try cleaning them.

Re: 1983 cb750FC nighthawk

bohemiafens
I wiil clean the carb jets next summer when warn enough to work outside on the bike.
 The bike shop put a new battery of the correct amperage on as they also suspected it was the problem. Sujested a switch to turn off the head light in the day would be good.
 I reckon with the head on, plus the 2 rear bulbs (55w), 2 off 21w brake, instrument lights, that is all to much for the charging system.
Low power independantly mounted, led spot could also be the answer? wire up from the headlight and take the 45/55w bulb out.

Re: 1983 cb750FC nighthawk

It worked correctly when it left the factory, what changed? You should not have to engineer around a problem that never existed when the bike was built. You need to find the problem and fix it.