1983 honda cx650c loses all spark to right cylinder

1983 honda cx650c loses all spark to right cylinder

Travis26
So I have a 1983 Honda cx650 custom and lately it's been acting up I'll start it and it runs just fine but about 3-7miles down the road the right cspark plug loses all power I figured this out by pulling the spark plug wire off while it ran and nothing happened and did the same to the left and it died. What could cause this problem I've changed the wires and heard it could be the pulse generator however sometimes if you pull and dump the clutch real fast it'll fix it but very rarely any help would be much appreciated

Re: 1983 honda cx650c loses all spark to right cylinder

Did you check/change the spark plug? That is where I would start with a problem like that.

Re: 1983 honda cx650c loses all spark to right cylinder

Travis26
Yes there brand new spark plugs and new wires

Re: 1983 honda cx650c loses all spark to right cylinder

Did it do this before, or after you installed new plugs and wires? Have you swapped the plugs and wires side to side to see if the problem moved, or stayed the same? I have had new plugs be bad, even NGK plugs (which I hope is what you are using). Testing the coil is easy though with an Ohm meter, but if it is your coil, it seems to be only messing up when it is hot, and you cannot test it when it is hot with an ohm meter. You would be better off switching the coil side to side just like I mentioned with the plugs and wires.

Re: 1983 honda cx650c loses all spark to right cylinder

Travis26
I've tried that also the right coil works just fine when I plug it into the left side and I just bought new spark plugs today and still acts up it never did it before but this is the third set of plugs I've got

Re: 1983 honda cx650c loses all spark to right cylinder

OK, you have ruled out all that. Now swap the igniters and see if the problem moves. If the problem does not move to the other side it will most likely be the pickup.

Re: 1983 honda cx650c loses all spark to right cylinder

Travis26
I did that and the problem did not move but I did notice that when it starts to cools down I had a spare plug that was grounded on the head it sparked for half a second then quit. What's the pick up?

Re: 1983 honda cx650c loses all spark to right cylinder

They are the black box's on the pulse generator that tell the coils/igniters when to fire. That is the only other component that is in the ignition system that it could be. However there could be bad wire/connection in the system that is failing after it heats up.
Here is a pulse generator for sale on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CX650C-GL650I-pulse-generator-1983-/281424794214?epid=0&hash=item4186399266:g:oSsAAOSwPe1T9Nb5&vxp=mtr