A good motorcycle movie

This afternoon I turned on a locale channel that shows old movies. There was a movie on called "Cycles South". It was made in the late 60s early 70s. It was a kind of documentary about 3 guys riding from Denver, CO to Panama. It showed them living on the beaches of Mexico, and even doing some partying. One of the most entertaining movies I have ever seen. especially since I am planning on riding a motorcycle to Central America in 2 years. I did a search to see if I could rent it at Amazon, but they did not have it. If you ever come across it. Watch it.

Re: A good motorcycle movie

I was thinking of one of the later Frankie and Annette beach movies...there's a fast-motion motorcycle race.  I think it was How To Stuff A Wild Bikini.  Somewhat implausible...well, pretty darned implausible.  But neat to see 60s vintage motorbikes.

Re: A good motorcycle movie

That's the one where they raced two up on the cycles, and one of then ran into the pond, and came out the other side
Gotta love B-movies

Re: A good motorcycle movie

Tron. Hey I love the lightcyles!

Re: A good motorcycle movie

phil
Hi Tools
Would you like some company on that trip? I'd planed on making that trip 2 winters ago but drug gang wars all along the border changed my mind. Still wishing I'd gone anyways.

Re: A good motorcycle movie

Sure Phil. I am shooting for going after I finish my degree (i am a returning student). Hoping for late next summer, or early spring. Still trying to save up for it, but if I have to I will sell everything I have except my motorcycle to go.

Re: A good motorcycle movie

phil
That schedule might work for me. Do you have an estimate of what you think this trip will cost?
When I was planing before, I was guessing about $3000. and was planning on rideing my big Roadliner.
Now I,m thinking smaller bike because of probable road conditions. maybe even my cb450?

Re: A good motorcycle movie

The biggest expense would be gas. That would have to be figured as a variable (math 110 there) I have several friends in Honduras, so probably will not need much money there.
I was thinking of getting a Kawasaki KLR 650, but doing it on a 40 year old Honda sounds much more interesting. Who knows maybe a magazine, or film maker might be interested in a story about about some Beijo loco gringos on 40 year old motorcycles traveling through central America.

Re: A good motorcycle movie

Andysla1
Never confuse education for intelligence. ROFLOL
I've worked corporate for 20+ years and there is no truer epitaph....LOL
BTW, Does anyone know what is the original stock rear sprocket for a 78 CB750?
TOOLS1 you slay me    LOL.......

Re: A good motorcycle movie

K-37 T, F-43 T, A-42 T. Hope this helps. I think I have them all covered

Re: A good motorcycle movie

Which 750 k or f?
The k is 15/41 and if I remember correctly, the F is 14/41. I have the K and before I put on a 530 chain, it was 15/41 with an 88 link chain.

Re: A good motorcycle movie

Re-run Where did you find the information? I got mine from a parts manual. I would really like to know which is correct. Maybe there are other discrepancy's we should be looking for.

Ray

Re: A good motorcycle movie

Ray
Tools   I found that movie  CYCLES SOUTH    both Netflix and Blockbuster has it.

Re: A good motorcycle movie

Did you get it?

Re: A good motorcycle movie

Andysla1
Thanks Rerun. That seems about right. I switched to a 38 tooth which gave me 4500rpm@70 and 5000rpm@80mph from 4900rpm@70 and 5500rpm@80 respectively. Not certain if it is true mph and will need to doublecheck, but it is now perfect for long hauls with less stress on the engine. The changed dropped rpms nicely with no ill effect from a standstill.. Mahalo  brudda.

Re: A good motorcycle movie

OK, I have not found definitive proof, can't find my owners manual, but my 78K came with a 41 rear and 15 front. When I replaced sprockets a few years back, that is what all the sites listed. Now many of them list 17 and 45 or something like that for a 530 chain conversion.
I know currently, bike bandit and david silver spares lists a 41 for the rear and 15 front. The A rear listed is 42.
Ray

Re: A good motorcycle movie

Ray
not yet. working screwy hours and havn't had time

Re: A good motorcycle movie

dave Esch
I have a neighbor, and fellow rider, named Ernie. He's in his late 50's and is a Harleyholic. But one night I was sitting in his garage having a few beers and he pulled out his pictures. They were straight from a movie just like cycles south. Pics of him laying back on his bike with a beer in his hand, bedroll strapped to his headlight while crossing thru big bear california. They would find some work until they had a wad of cash and then head out. He told me a story of how they got lost one evening and were trying to find a hotel room. A sign pointed toward hotel but lead them down a dirt road. They came across a ghost town that a class of college seniors was rebuilding. The town wasn't finished, but the hotel and the saloon were. They drank in an old west saloon that night and life was good. Wish I coulda been there for that one.

Re: A good motorcycle movie

Half-Caf
Just watched Cycles South yesterday after viewing this thread...
Those guys are crazy! Makes me wish I had a dual sport so I could do some kind of crazy adventure like that.
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL