A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

I just came across a 1966 Kawasaki-Meguro SG 250. These bike were never sold in the U.S. This one was brought back from Guam by a returning Serviceman. The current owner bought it from an estate along with several other antique bikes that have been sitting for decades. He brought this to the Kansas City Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club picnic yesterday to see if anyone knew anything about the bike. Well just happened someone did. and made a deal to acquire the bike. I am going to pick it up this weekend.
It is complete, and runs. The guy did not bring the seat, but he does have it.

Here is what it looked like new.

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

Truck
Nice bike! I love those mirrored tanks.  Have fun finding parts though.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

Butcherblock
That bike is AWESOME!!! Nice find tools. Keep us posted on how well she runs!!
1982 cb750k 1982 cm200

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

Awesome find buddy! It appears to be very complete and in great shape. I'm happy for you. You better keep us in the loop on this one.

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

I just brought Mr. Meguro home. He is in the Toolshack waiting for some attention. I wanted to take some pictures, but it is pouring rain, maybe tomorrow. Now I have to decide if I want to do a resto-mod (there are some parts I could never replace,) or just get it running, and ride-able, leaving the patina as it is.
On the way home I stopped by Independence Kawasaki (been in business since 1967) and asked if they knew what it was. They thought it was a Honda until someone noticed the Kawasaki badge. No one there had ever heard of this bike. The owner (who started the dealership) was really surprised he had never heard of this bike. So I guess I can cross them off the list as a source of parts.

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

How do I move this to the "Build Section?"

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

Don't ask me. You need an administrator.

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

Where's Luke gotten off to?

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

Sorry, TOOLS.  I've been working nights the last 3-4 weeks, and my sleep schedule is all messed up.

I see the chromed torso one already moved it.

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

I brought Mr. Meguro in, and put him on the lift to get him running. However after looking at all the red RTV silicon I decided to have a look first.

I pulled the inspection/tappet adjuster cover, and saw this. There should be a law against the making, and sale of RTV silicone.
As I dug deeper I found this.

Here is the real kicker. this is plugging the oil supply to the rocker arms.

Here is looking down the pushrod tunnel. Guess I better remove the head.

More RTV.

I found a company that custom makes gaskets, and am having them make me a new head gasket. Now I am trying to decide if I should re-ring it. I would need to have rings custom made also, but found a company that can do that for me.

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

shultz_1978
Don't you just love people that think they can improvise for every thing. It is in the right hands now.
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

Here is a picture of the gaskets I had made. I hope they get here soon. They have been sitting in a shipping container since the 6th.

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

shultz_1978 wrote
Don't you just love people that think they can improvise for every thing. It is in the right hands now.
You know most of the bike work I do is repairing things that have been messed up by people that thought they were mechanics.
Here is one of my favorite repairs. Someone stripped out the head bolt holes in this 1982 Honda CM 450 Hondamatic. They then cut a bolt down, ground out the case, and epoxied the piece of bolt in hoping it would catch the threads on the head bolt.

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

shultz_1978
I have heard of ingenuity, But that one is one of the best.
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

TOOLS1 wrote

TOOLS

Why?!?! Why would you RTV the locknuts?!? And a full on RTV head gasket?? Oh man,that's a classic there!!

Dude,I am so glad you're saving this bike's life.

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

Gaskets just arrived. Now I am still trying to decide whether or not to pull the cylinder, and hone it. Pull the cylinder, hone it, and get new rings, or just leave it alone.

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

Were you able to get any compression readings before you tore it open?

Re: A special new bike. Mr. Meguro

I did not take a reading, but it did have compression.