Bike wont run with choke off

blk72750
I have cleaned and rejeted the carbs to 145 mainjet. I have straight pipes 2 into 1 on each side and cone air filters. If I close idle air screws and adj the locknut on the carb should it be able to run with the choke off?

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

I'm not sure what, you are asking, but I think the answer is no.

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

blk72750
the bike will run with the choke on, but as soon as I touch it to turn it off it the bike dies out.

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

Your pilot jets are plugged up.

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

blk72750
Don't tell me I gotta pull these carbs and clean them again

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

You could just sit on the bike, and make engine noises. Worked, for the mouse in my grandbrats story book.

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

blk72750
thats all Ive been doing since I got the bike lol,
what could be clogging the pilot jet? could  I run some seafoam through it and hope it clears it up?

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

145 sounds like an awfully big jet. I have similar exhaust and air cleaners I am running 125 mains and 42 pilot jets.

I agree with tools an the pilot jets. Your bike is not getting fuel thru its idle circuit,having the choke on is just richening the mixture and masking the problem.

You CAN get to the jets to clean with the carbs on the bike. The pilot jets are VERY fragile so doing it on the bike makes it very risky. When I was tuning my carbs and swapping jets there was no way i was gonna pull the carbs off every time. You can just pop the bowls off and get to it. You will need either a perfectly sized stubby or a right angle screwdriver.

It can be done on the bike but be VERY CAREFUL! Try cleaning the pilots.If that doesn't cure it you may have to pull the carbs and resoak/clean them.Or you could try running a small wire thru the jets with them still in the carbs and see if you can get any debris out. Much safer for a first round test.

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

blk72750
Thanks ribs- what year bike do you have?

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

Mine is a '76 Super Sport .I have the same carburetors as you and our engine are almost identical,if not identical.The differences between your bike and mine are extremely minimal. I am not a bike mechanic.I have only had my bike for about 6 months now and its my first. The guy who runs a local bike shop near me loves old jap bikes of all types. I used his advice on tuning mine and it worked out great. My bike runs faster and uses less fuel than anyone will believe.But regardless of all that,it has been reliable. Thats the main concern. I dont suppose you live nearby me. If you are anywhere near SW Virginia I would be glad to give you a hand.

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

blk72750
Im actually in Beckley WV which is not that far from you. this bike is a completely new learning experience for me. Im hook on it though.

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

seestheday
Sorry, I'm confused.  Did you close the air screws all the way?  I'm not familiar with the SOHC carbs, but that sounds wrong - I'm sure Tools or Shiny would know better.

Or are you referring to the idle adjuster?  Closing that all the way also sounds wrong.

On the DOHC carbs, only the carb sync screws have a lock-nut.  If you were closing those all the way then your carbs would no doubt be horribly out of sync.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

Hellbilly429
A little off topic but I've been wanting to get an opinion on how these bikes sound with straight pipes, and if i should go with 4 straight pipes or 4 into 2's like yours. Youtube videos don't cut it so how does your bike sound?

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

My bike had two pipes down each side before. It had a real nice deep throaty sound to it.Tools has those now.

The 4 into 1 I have now has more of a performance sound to it. Kinda zingy sounding if that makes any sense.

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

On my bike the idle air adjustment screws ( is that the right name?) ended up on 1 1/2 turns out.

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

Hellbilly429
I really want that chopper sound if I can get it, have heard some of the bikes on youtube that sound good with 4 smaller pipes, but none with 4 into 2's so I can tell the difference....

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

I have video of them running on my phone,but I cannot for the life of me get it off of there. I'll see what I can do.

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

cdaiscool
Download Google Youtube app, then upload to Youtube.
Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

seestheday
Shiny, there are 4 air/fuel mixture screws on my DOHC carbs, and one idle adjust knob.

I believe stock on the DOHC is 1 1/2 turns out for all 4 air/fuel mix screws.  If you've done anything non-stock like mufflers or pods this will have to be adjusted (and of course you know this).  I'm currently waiting for a 90 degree screwdriver to arrive in the mail before I can properly tune my air/fuel ratio.

Idle adjust knob was just turned until I got the idle to where I wanted it once the bike warmed up.

Doing a quick search it seems that the SOHC's have an idle adjust knob as well.

Also, I'm not 100% sure if I'm calling them the right names.  If anyone knows, please chime in.

My cb750 video site

Re: Bike wont run with choke off

Hellbilly429
Thanks Shiny for the help again