Chains 0-ring and x-ring

I didn't know the difference,maybe you didn't either.Here ya go!:

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

Piute
 Didn't no about x-ringhaven't found feed-back yet..Found this though ,http://www.become.com/chain-tensile-strength?&fltr_ambigcatid=137
  You do no to change the gear also right,a new chain and old gear something gotta give,I've always asked what chain the gear company recomends,the one i was eating up were same brand name but were for drag racing and were cut from bulk roll from A speed shop ,My problem was I didn't ajust the chain all the time,I was told If you think of it adjust it,every time the chain needed tightening...Piute N Judose...But my Sporty hunter took a beating,running down thoughs Ninja's

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

The first, and last chains are not O-ring. I would go with the one, you were looking at, if, you really want gold.

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

Tools,you think the Factory Spec brand?

Piute,you saying the rear sprocket and new chain might not jive together?

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

This is admittedly someone elses opinion but:
http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/files/article_11.pdf

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

Peterwh
Couple of things|

1.  Only buy an O ring chain
2.  Change the sprockets when you change the chain otherwise the wear on the sprockets will likely ruin the new chain
3.  If your old chain is a 630 and your new one is a 530, you will have to change the sprockets anyway because a 530 chain will not work with a 630 sprocket.

With regard to the article on tensile strength, I have a few comments.  First, from a purist engineering perspective, you cannot measure the tensile strength of a chain because tensile strength is measured in pound per square inch or Newtons per square millimetre.  What is the cross sectional area of a chain?  Which component are you measuring the cross sectional area of?  Side plates? Inner or outer?  The rollers?

Tensile strength is a measure that is applied to a material eg 1010 carbon steel, 316 stainless, etc, not to a system of assembled components.

More correctly, what you can measure is the load to permanent deformation for the system of side plates and rollers.

The point of this apparent rambling is to be sure we understand what a chain manufacturer is telling us when he quotes "tensile strength". Is he quoting the actual tensile strength of the material used in construction, or the load to permanent deformation of the chain itself.  The former is not too helpful because a poorly manufactured chain made from high tensile material could be weaker than a well made chain from material with a lower tensile strength.  If the manufacturer is, actually, quoting the load to permanent deformation of the chain system, then this is a much more helpful measure of chain quality.

As with many things, I suspect the best approach is to buy the best chain you can afford without getting ripped off.

Hope this is helpful.

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

One thing I liked about the article. Was where he talked about materials, and how heavier chains can be weaker then lighter chains that are made of better quality materials. A Harley shop told this guy I know that thicker spokes are stronger, and when re-lacing  a wheel, you should use the thickest spokes that are available. Now this guy is trying to convince me, of this. LOL I have tried to explain to him that a thinner spoke made from high quality steel can be stronger then the really thick cheap ones.

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

Peterwh
Think of it like this: a thin titanium spoke or a think one in 1010 carbon steel?  I know which one I prefer!

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

Peterwh
That should be thin by the way

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

Peterwh
Too many vodkas. Thick

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

I guess it's 5 o'clock somewhere

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

Thanks for the info Peter.Im on a kinda tight budget.How important is it to replace the sprockets.I knew they were not permanent,but didn't realize they were throw away items,either. So how long will a chain and sprocket last?  I cant spend $200 on a chain,but if a $65 chain is gonna break and tear up stuff,i cant afford that either. What brands have ya'll used in the past that hold up well?

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

EK is a good one. I have seen guy's use those colored chains, you are looking at on ebay. The chains today are a lot better quality then they were 35 years ago. Just make sure it is an o-ring chain, or, you will be adjusting it very often.
Here is a link to check out. http://www.vintagecb750.com/products/2/chassis-brakes/66/drive-chains
http://www.cyclexchange.net/Chain%20Sprocket%20Page.htm

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

Thanks bud,checked it out,their o-ring chain start at $130     i think i'm gonna go with that Factory Spec one me and you were talking about earlier.OH yeah,speaking of chains,flea market guy was not there yesterday.But did your stuff get there yet?

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

The post office trucks are not as fast as the Fedex trucks. Tracking says Tuesday.

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

Peterwh
It's 5 o clock in Italy

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

In theory, changing the sprockets with the chain, is best.  In theory.  I had to replace my 630 chain last year.  When I asked my mechanic about changing the sprockets, as well, he said he would look at them, and change them if they were bad.

I have been studying a motorcycle mechanics textbook for around a year, now.  The textbook says to change both sprockets, and chain, at the same time, so that they wear evenly, and together.  It sounds good, but I know that what sounds good in theory, often is overkill, in practice.  My mechanic has 30+ years experience wrenching.  I am not a motorcycle technician, but I am an electronic technician, as well as a computer technician.  I have learned that theory, and practical, often conflict.  I have also learned that practical can be quite safe, not to mention cost-effective.

My Honda's new, 630 chain, has a couple thousand miles on it, without issue.  For me, the used sprockets are holding up, and they saved me some money up front.  The real chain and sprocket killer, though, is lubrication -- or lack there of.  Make sure you buy a good chain lubricant, and apply it every 300 miles, or so.  I would recommend DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-saver/

I've had good luck with this stuff living up to their review.  YMMV.  Like I said, keep your chain lubricated.  That is the single most useful, life-prolonging, thing you can do, to wring every penny out of your investment, whether you replace one part, or all three.

With regards to chain life, my bike had 9,600 miles on it when I bought it.  The chain was replaced at around 20,000 miles.  I assume the chain that was replaced, was the OEM original.  So, my 1979 vintage, O-ring, 630 chain lasted roughly 20,000 miles, with unknown care and lubrication, during the first 9,600 miles, and prior to 2007, when I bought it.  I won't be able to find out how long the new chain will last, as the bike is up for sale.  Cheers!

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

Thank you Sarge,that was the kind of reference i was looking for.You say to lube every 300 miles,i have also heard to adjust every 300 miles.I know when i rode dirt bikes that i replaced alot of chains on them.You can oil them all you want,but all the debris just kills them.Never lost a single sprocket. What brand chain do you run now?

P.S.  What is YMMV ?   im still learning all the lingo

Tools,I'm sorry buddy.I thought it would have gotten there faster.I'll do better next time

Re: Chains 0-ring and x-ring

Piute
.. Acronym Definition; YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary: YMMV: Your Method May Vary: YMMV: Your Market May Vary (advertisements)
I've become a regular smart az,with to much time on my hands....Piute N Judose...If my bike can't do this by spring ?<smiley image='anim_confused.g