** Exhaust paint **

Ericcb750
Hi guys,  I'm fairly new to the forum so I hope i'm posting this in the right spot. I have a 78' Cb750K with the original 4-4 exhaust. They're in pretty good shape except for the header pipes in the portion that runs parallel to the ground. They're a bit rusted (no holes though). As I'm rebuilding a lot of the bike I was thinking about painting the pipes with some VHT flat aluminim header paint. Has anyone done this with good results? I'm not sure how the paint will stick to the chrome though?? I would appreciate any tips or advice that anyone has on this. Thank you.
Eric - CT - 1978 CB750 K

Re: ** Exhaust paint **

Truck
Best case would be to get the crome blasted off. If you don't wan to pop for that atleast scuff up the crome as much as possible. The just paint as you normally would with multiple light coats.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: ** Exhaust paint **

Butcherblock
I did this as a spot touch up for my pipes. Its far from perfect, but it stops the rust, and most people don't even notice. Just put painters tape and some newspaper around the affected area, little spray, and bazzing, rust color is gone. Far from perfect, but perfect from far!
1982 cb750k 1982 cm200

Re: ** Exhaust paint **

MarkPBG
I sold VHT paint for years and once you get that chrome removed, it works well. Just keep in mind the VHT will have to be run through several heat cycles to cure if you're not going to oven bake it to cure the paint. I've seen more than one guy use it on his motorcycle engine, take it to a show and have rust spots appear on the freshly painted part after a light rain because they failed to cure the paint. It's permeable until it's cured.
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."