Just checking my English...

750K8
Shouldn't it be "Honda CB750s" and not "Honda CB750's"?

For some reason, I've got a spell checker attitude going on tonight.

Re: Just checking my English...

It actually should be "Honda CB750s'."

Re: Just checking my English...

eric moon
Judging by what I read on this forum this spelling is the last thing we need to worry about! :-)
Sometimes it is hard to follow a message with poor or no punctuation.
1980 CB750F S/S
1979 CB750F
York
England

Re: Just checking my English...

free2ride
750K8 wrote
Shouldn't it be "Honda CB750s" and not "Honda CB750's"?
you are right. the apostrophe denotes possession: we own the machines, they don't own us
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Just checking my English...

motogrady
Administrator

im impressed

Re: Just checking my English...

The apostrophe after the "s" denotes multiple. Since there are millions of CB 750s' that is where it should be placed. According to punctuation expert Lynne Truss.

Re: Just checking my English...

motogrady
Administrator

I go to a forum for mxracers.

In the beginning, there were lots of pro racers, pro mechanics and team owners that
would post.

It was great, you got the inside scoop right from the horses mouth.

Then, the English Majors, that didn't know squat about bikes, began making fun of grammar and punctuation.
Made the guys that made the forum look like fools.
Were, we're, your, you're, aeiou and sometimes y, took maybe a month and the guys that
knew what was up just quit showing up.

Just sayin'.

Re: Just checking my English...

Well I am the ADMINISTRATOR here, and as long as the posts are legible, and make sense that's good enough for me. Also I will not tolerate insults to any member here.
Hence, I am declaring this a spell, and punctuation check free zone.

Re: Just checking my English...

I hear ya Grady. The sharpest mechanic I've ever know could hardly use the cell phone his wife wanted him to carry.  You can forget about proper grammar or whatever.

I watched the man weld teeth back on to a ring and pinion and reshape them with a die grinder and rat tail files. Sand paper then polished and back in the car. Granted, these were out of a super lightweight front engine dragster, but they held up for a couple more years. 1700 lbs with driver with roughly 11-1200 HP at the tires.  Impressive.

He couldn't use a cell phone, his hand writing was horrible and he didn't even know the meaning of grammar. But the metallurgy I've seen Charlie pull of is nothing short of amazing. Not my favorite person in the world, but dude has some serious skills.

Re: Just checking my English...

free2ride
TOOLS1 wrote
Hence, I am declaring this a spell, and punctuation check free zone.
TOOLS
if, you! say? so;

Well I am the ADMINISTRATOR here, and as long as the posts are legible, and make sense that's good enough for me. Also I will not tolerate insults to any member here.
no disagreement there! that's the way it should be. [I've got your back!]
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Just checking my English...

Truck
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Just checking my English...

Which begs the question:

Does the term anal retentive need a hyphen?

If you had to think about it, and eventually have an answer, you are one.

Re: Just checking my English...

Lucky 1
I depends how it is used in a sentence. The context it is given.
English gets complicated.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Just checking my English...

free2ride
TOOLS1 wrote
The apostrophe after the "s" denotes multiple. Since there are millions of CB 750s' that is where it should be placed. According to punctuation expert Lynne Truss.
TOOLS
do you have a link for this TOOLS? [yes, Luke, I am being anal ] . . . because I disagree with her.

note: this isn't about punctuation in posts, it's about punctuation period. I like to get things like this, and "further/farther" etc right.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Just checking my English...

She wrote a book titled "Eats shoots and leaves" check it out.

Re: Just checking my English...

nickels767
Yes, there are a lot of them, however should it not break down like this?

Intent - CB750-s forum = CB750's
Stating a forum for many bikes = CB750s

The apostrophe has me lost at the end (CB750s') if that was how it should be, how come we don't say look at the rainbows', or I'm being attacked by dogs'?

Apostrophe at the end should only be there if the subject already has an s at the end.

Nicholas' home. Charles' CB750.

Don't look at me, I barely graduated high school.

Re: Just checking my English...

Well I never went to high school Too busy However I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

Re: Just checking my English...

Truck
Lets eat Grandma
Lets eat, Grandma

Pucntuation makes all the difference!
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Just checking my English...

Truck wrote
Lets eat Grandma
Grandma might be tough, and stringy.