Have a couple ?'s on my bike!!

mwinchel
Hey everybody i am new to the forum.  I recently traded my 1981 cx500custom for a 1978 cb750k  i think it was a good upgrade but i have yet to ride it.  The carbs need a gasket kit when i bought them so i have replaced the gaskets and put pod filters on it.  I can get this think the crank up and run but i have to let it run a while before i can start to cut the choke back if i start to cut it back gradually it will want to die or cut out.  Another problem i am having is i will unhook the battery and it will cutoff.  This bike has electric start and kick start but it will not kick in less the battery is hooked up it seems like.  What do you think my problems are can i synchronizes the carbs my self and how?  One other question i noticed on this bike it only has one nipple on the petcock where as my cx 500 had 2.  When i look under the gas tank on this 750 there is a line that is not hooked up that goes to the carbs where does this go?  Any help will help a bunch let me know if you think it was a good trade.  i have never rode a 750 i was told i should have alot more gitty!!!

Re: Have a couple ?'s on my bike!!

blackhawkrider
since you put pod filters on it you will need to rejet the carbs. The pod filters allow enough air through that original jetting wont be enough and the bike will run lean. This probably is why it will run with choke but not without. The choke richens your mixture. As far as the battery is concerned why diconnect it? Most of the time its not a good idea to run a bike without the battery hooked up anyways.

Re: Have a couple ?'s on my bike!!

blackhawkrider
sorry forgot a few answers. Not sure about the other line from carbs most likely it is your breather line which needs to remain disconnected. You can balance your carbs yourself but you will need a syncing tool. Basically a flow meter that can measure the airflow of all 4 carbs at once so you can adjust them to run together. A motor is more of an air pump than you might think. These tools range in price motion pro has one for around $100 that I have and seems to work fine.

Re: Have a couple ?'s on my bike!!

shabbabear
hawk is right..the carb synch tool is easy to use and works well and you can get it at any dealership..tucker/rocky or parts unlimited sell them...and yes to hawk on the battery too...no the cb750 was never designed to run as a "total loss" system (without battery)..and will not properly due to lack of current to the coils and then onto the points and so on ..assuming you still have the original set up...most folks change over to an electronic ignition set up...hope this helps as well..shabbabear