How to shorten forks

Start by removing the Allen head bolt from the bottom of the slider, and pull the slider off. Now grab a rag, and mop up all the fork oil that ran out all over your work bench, and floor because you forgot to drain it first. Then remove the top cap from the tube. Now pull the spring out, and turn the tube upside down, and bump it on the work bench until the dampener comes out. This is the order of the components.

Now you need to cut the spring off. I wanted to lower my bike 2 inches, so that's how much I cut off. When installing the spring, be sure to put the cut end up. This way it will not wear into the soft aluminum that the damper is made of.

Then cut a spacer the same length that you cut off the spring. Mine were 2 inches. You can use 3/4 pipe like I did, or PVC pipe. It is plenty strong. Remove the little spring from the damper, and slide the spacer over the damper then install the little spring back onto the damper.

Reassemble the fork, and your done.

Re: How to shorten forks

Wulp...that was easy enough. I didn't know about the adding that sleeve to the dampener. Very cool!

Re: How to shorten forks

rich
Looks a lot better than just pushing them up the triple tree too.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: How to shorten forks

And the tire will not hit the triple tree when you hit a bump.

Re: How to shorten forks

Hoosier Daddy
I had heard to move the cut piece of spring down to the slider where you used the 3/4" pipe. Any thoughts on this?
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: How to shorten forks

I thought about that, but I like how the solid bushing does not have the sharp edge of the cut spring that could damage the damper, or the little spring that is already on the damper. Also you loose at least 1/8 inch of length when the spring is cut.

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: How to shorten forks

seaofsin22
Hi, I have the rear shocks disassembled, can the same process be done to those shocks to shorten them?  I was thinking of cutting off about 1-2 inches.
I would love to lower the bike at least an inch and save some money.  Thanks!

Re: How to shorten forks

No. Shocks are a totally different ball game. However there are other options for lowering the rear of your bike. The cheapest would be bolt on lowering blocks.

Re: How to shorten forks

seaofsin22
Thanks, I'm going to make my own this weekend and do a post when its all said and done.

Re: How to shorten forks

Perry
Thanks, Tools! What a great idea.

Will this work with the DOHC forks (1980 750C)?
Perry in Littlerock (WA)

1980 CB750C Original Owner
1980 CB750C Project Bike
1980 CB750C Parts Bike
1981 GL500
2006 VTX1300C

Re: How to shorten forks

SThomas
Wont doing this affect handling in a negative way?
V-Star 1100 Silverado
429 cams
Chubby pods
Speedster Slashdowns
Dyna 3000
AIS Removed
64lb clutch

Sappers Forward

Re: How to shorten forks

Just about anything you do to a bike could affect handling, however it could be good, bad, or neutral. Depends on what kind of riding you do, how you ride, and even how the rest of the bike is set up. Hell even a trunk, or tank bag can change the handling of a bike.

Re: How to shorten forks

Perry wrote
Thanks, Tools! What a great idea.

Will this work with the DOHC forks (1980 750C)?
I don't know how I missed your post, but yes this can be done on the DOHC forks.

Re: How to shorten forks

seaofsin22
Hi tools,
what i physically did was move the lower "eye" on the swing arm 2 inches back and had it welded on.  I know it may be crazy but i thought i would give that a shot instead of buying a link as you had suggested in your post.
My question is if i moved the lower section 2 inches back should i cut the front fork springs exactly 2 inches or is 1 1/2" good?  Thanks for any input, Jimmy

Re: How to shorten forks

I would put the rear back together, and then sit the bike up and lower the forks in the trees until it gets to where you like it. Then cut out the amount that is sticking above the trees.

Re: How to shorten forks

seaofsin22
right on, thanks!

Re: How to shorten forks

CBGirl
Hey Tools, I was wondering where you got the 3\4 inch tube from. I can't find anything with a small enough outside diameter that still fits over the dampener.
Am i a Tom Boy? If that means that my daddy taught me to throw a ball, change the oil, shoot a gun, and whoop your ass, then yes.

Re: How to shorten forks

That was tubing from a metal supply store here in KC. I think it was 1" .065 wall mechanical tubing. However PVC pipe from Lowes, Home Depot, the hardware store all works.

Re: How to shorten forks

chris72
Great write up.
12