Life gets in the way of riding

rich
I had all intentions of riding this weekend. I wasn't sure where I was going to go, I was just going to go. I got off early on Friday only to come home and find that I had visitors (wife's cousin and his wife) from out of town. My wife wasn't home to entertain them so I thought no problem I'll just go riding tomorrow. Well Saturday it rained on and off all day. Today (Sunday), my wife isn't feeling well so I have to keep an eye on her. I guess the only riding I'll be doing is on the lawn mower. It'd be a hell of a lot more fun if I had a mower like this:

89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

That is quite the mower! Sorry you didn't get to go  riding,here is why i didnt get to go riding...:

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

Piute
  When your on this thing in the middle of the day usually it's family or something wrong with bike,Or it scattered all over your shop...Piute...Black is beautifuleven if she's not mine

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

That black engine does look good! Are those what is called key hole carbs?

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

rich
You got that right Piute. I finally decided just to just go for a quick ride to town and damn if my carbs aren't just spewing  gas everywhere!!!!!

Looks like it's just the number 1 and 2. It's not the floats (not coming out of the overflow tube) but it looks like maybe the float bowl gaskets or maybe just #2 (isn't that the one with the accelerator pump on it? Could be that too). Anyway, got to pull them off and wait for parts again so it's another week of not riding.

Well I'm glad I discovered this at home in the garage and not a 100 miles away on Sunday afternoon in the middle of Kansas.
Piute n Judose wrote
When your on this thing in the middle of the day usually it's family or something wrong with bike,Or it scattered all over your shop...Piute...
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

 Well dam Rich now you can still spend time with fam. N Bike
  Yes,Chromeribs those are "key-tops"like mine,
 And rich on mine "77"S.S. the accelarator(diaphragm) is in the #2
 Mine has one in there too finally,
 going to wait till after work monday to start ,then my Tech.will be here,....Piute...

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

Toolbabe, and I rode the the SantaCalaGon festival in Independence MO yesterday. Got caught in a downpour on the way home. The Toolmatic turned into a Seadoo. Forded water 6-8 inches deep in places. Then this afternoon. We went to Greasearama Rat Rod show in Kansas City KS. Had a really good time, and saw some cool cars, and bikes.

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

rich
I blame ethanol. 1. It's only the left two carbs, which will sit lower when on the side-stand than the other carbs, and 2, the previous owner said he ran premium in it. Well the store by his house has 10% ethanol in their 89 octane. Probably ate the float bowl gaskets. Found a set at Z1 for $24. Hope they'll make it here by next weekend.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

Well, if the ethanol issue is what's eating up your carbs, we're all in a heap of trouble.  It's REALLY difficult to find non-ethanol gas here in central Ohio.  I think the only option is to go to an airport or a boat dock, and then you're paying for pretty high octane stuff.

If ethanol is eating up gaskets, and these bikes are only getting older, I think we can expect a whole lot more repairs to carbs and fuel lines and such.

*sigh* Is it time to move to a more modern bike, now?  Hope not: my Shadow is running pretty good these days.  Is there a chemical to add to the fuel tank to take away these corrosive properties?

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

rich
It's more likely that who ever last rebuilt the carbs reused the bowl gaskets once too often. 10% ethanol really shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, it seemed to run fine on 87 regular unleaded, and that's still available. It probably has a little ethanol in it too depending on the time of year and region of the country.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

Rich. the Kansas City Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club is having a ride on the 17th. Would be great if, you joined us. We are meeting at the Denney's on Front st, and 435 at 8:30 AM.

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

Rat rod show! Awesome.A few years back i raced at an event called the Jalopy Showdown in PA.   Loved it!

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

It was great. I really enjoyed it.

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

Beautiful sceneryDo i spy a '59 El Camino?!?!My dream car....zzz....keep dreaming

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

You should bring the Old Bomb to it next year.

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

Sounds like a planI'll toss the F-Bomb in the trailer  and we can go for a ride,too

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

Looking forward to it. You know I am starting to get the bug to go drag racing. KCIR is only a few miles from the toolshed. I wonder how the Toolmatic would do in bracket racing?

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

That would be awesome. Key to brackets is consistency. I am sure you would be the only auto in the motorcycle class....you'd probably clean up!!!  Go for it!

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

I think I might be there Friday night.

Re: Life gets in the way of riding

free2ride
TOOLS1 wrote
love the sponsor tent in the background
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)
12