Loud pipe ban?

JPSmee
http://www.hdforums.com/industry-news/bill-banning-loud-pipes-may-be-coming-down-the-pipe-industrynews.php?=industrynews&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=

Is it wrong that the fact that we'd (well, most of us) be immune to this makes me want to somehow make my pipes louder?
Lady Amalthea

1981 CB750C Suffolk, VA

Re: Loud pipe ban?

sgtslag
There has been a saying, for many a year, which is being proven valid by this bill:  "Loud pipes risk rights."  I, personally, hate loud pipes because as a pedestrian, and a cage driver, I really, really hate their pollution.  I am referring to those pipes that rattle my windows (car and house), along with the one's that cause me to reflexively cover my ears with my hands.

Freedom is fine, as long as it does not impinge on other peoples' rights, and freedoms.  Excessively loud pipes can physically harm people nearby (noise damage is cumulative, it all stacks up, over time, destroying a person's hearing, little by little, or perhaps in big chunks, depending on the amount of noise, and the duration) -- that is not right, or proper, and it really makes me angry.  No one has the right to harm my hearing, or yours.  There are other ways to improve awareness of your presence while in traffic.  It is not a safety issue, but an ego problem.

I wear ear plugs on every ride.  I have lost part of my hearing (and I am in my mid-40's!) due to motorcycle riding, and I do not want to lose any more -- it can never be recovered!  Folks who ride without ear protection are, in fact, suffering cumulative, permanent, hearing loss, even if they ride a bike as quiet as the modern Gold Wings.  It is a scientific fact that wind noise, all by itself, at 60 MPH, on a bike, will damage your hearing.  Add to that noise level, loud pipes, and your hearing loss will accelerate.  If you have never had your hearing tested by an MD, I would recommend it.  Then invest in some custom fit ear plugs:  the throw-away's may block more noise (as high as 32 dB noise reduction), but they get uncomfortable after a few hours; custom fit ear plugs may not block out as many dB's (typically around 28 dB), but you will be able to wear them for 8+ hours per day.

I don't see this as a problem with the government, but rather it is a problem with the self-serving motorcyclist who doesn't give a damn about anyone but themselves:  "It's all about me, Baby!  I have to have loud pipes because <insert justification here>, even if it means I have to stab you in the ear, to get what I want!"  I won't shed a tear for anyone busted under noise laws.  Instead, I will likely give the LEO's a thumbs-up as I ride/drive/walk by.  YMMV -- it is, after all, a free country.  Cheers!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm

Re: Loud pipe ban?

settles
Would this fall under Protecting or Serving?  Plus, I'm not sure I'd trust a cop with a tape measure.  Welcome to the Nanny State!

Re: Loud pipe ban?

Big Brother is watching!!!!!! I hear more loud stereos then I do loud pipes. You know the ones going BOOM BOOM Buzzzzzzzz. Rattle the windows in my house at all hours, or even my truck going down the road. I hardly ever hear a bike with loud pipes, and at least when I do they are either going down the road, or idling at a stop. I think there are more important issues, for our government, and it's goons (police) to be concerned with.

Re: Loud pipe ban?

  I got pulled over for load pipes once I-5 in cal. was passing a semi and H.P. had some one pulled over .
    3 lanes i was in far left,he took the tape and meter thing off the end of each pipe ,had stock drag pipes,
  when measuring the front pipe put the meter thing right in front of the rear pipe opening(exhaust).
  so had to go to court then some H.P.station for another test witch I passed,
     GET THOSE "O"s off there cell phone,already a law in most but not enfoced in any state ,

  AND YES them dam stereo's I could shot a gun and not here it,
   I love the sound of a good running bike straight pipe does not make a "good" running street bike.
  requares way to much gas for r.p.m. So sounds like $h!^,light to light,flying down the hwy hey go for it.

Re: Loud pipe ban?

samir_nayanajaad
I think most of these type of laws are revenue generating laws.  They have a thin veil of legitimacy but most of the time its just something else that can be used as a reason to pull you over, maybe see if you agree to letting them search the car, see what they might find. Maybe find out your insurance is expired or some other little things that can add up to a nice fine.  Heck a lot of times its just a reason to get a licence and see if the person has any warrants out for their arrest.
Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to god one of these days, I just kick this piece of shit out the window.

Re: Loud pipe ban?

It is a fine line between living free and being able to run whatever exhaust you want,and having to be governed to keep it all polite.The fact that it is necessary to have to govern people to be polite is just ridiculous,but it happens. It is also not right that it is left up to an officers discretion on what is too loud.If you wanna make a noise limit,put a decibel rating on it.
    I agree with Sgtslag.I even run mufflers on my drag car.

Re: Loud pipe ban?

ferroussphinx
i think  that if our forefathers knew what is going on in this day and age they would have never tried to make a free country

the people who live here now whine and cry about everything  all the time    the people need to understand this

if you dont like this country as it was intended please get the Fuck out    at no point and time did we bring the mexicans here canadians itailians or germans nor vietnamese nor  japanese   lets face it the only people that was brought here years and years and years and last century ago

were the Blacks then the chinese  to be used as slave labor  for which there own country sold them to this country

and if the blacks want to go back to africa please go because in africa over half the black population is still in a form of slavory   I have a friend from another board who lives there and lets me know about the government all the time

chinese people if you dont like it here go back to your country of origin which currently  makes good money from america but hardly shares a dime with its people

My lineage comes from  Germany  and once in the states we settled in virginia and then georgia thru tennesse on up to kentucky  and indiana

We are proud bootleggers  slave owners and freers  one side ran the underground railroad in indiana and the other side   actually tried shutting it down

I am   a product of being raised by a close family   most are self righteous bastards for self serving purpose      I am a father who teaches my kids by living on this basic principle   if i do it my children will learn it    if i dont do it then  my child will not learn it   So I work out in my garage i do laundry i do dishes i work on my truck and bike   I also help the lady cross the street and stop  for people stuck on the side of the road

I get mad and yell  i get mad and punch things  i  talk out my feelings and express love   and anger
very vocally

I am five foot ten and four feet wide (almost) i weigh 270  i love to tell my kids to look at everything figure it out ask questions

i am constantly at battle with my own aches and pains  and loves lost and the anger within     so I see all these new laws as just another way

for other people with power and control issues to get there way        I like my pipes they are homemade and are about to be patented   i love my kids they homemade to lol and hopefully are being raised better than i was  and have the ability to grow up well balanced

the point of telling you all this is simple        it does not matter what other people do depending on how you look at life

no one is making you  do anything and no can  ever       make you  do anything at all

not with a gun pointed to your head or your families head

I know because when i was in the situation i said shoot me  and it never happened my resolve was more than that of the person holding the gun

Love Faith and hope and the greatest of these three is love

most people love blaming others for there problems or predicaments in life

no one stops and say hmm maybe if I give them less control of my thought patterns  less control of my  actuall choices

by understanding that every action has a reaction

there is not real control only influence and influence is only as strong as you let it be  and that most people with the  knowledge that  no matter how bad it is

it can get better

there is no stopping point in life only changing of matter from physical to spirit and spirit is eternal

most rules can be changed bent or broken depending on how much  reaction you want  consequence is just that it is consequence    just like electricity it is both good and bad

Love is a quick as a smile

and anger is a fast as the hate driving it

these are my words  and no one elses  some influence may have driven me to come to these terms i live by  but those are mine and i dont share those with too many people

its easier to be an ass because its like visa accepted everywhere   but  it is braver to be kind accepting and vulnerable because it causes people to feel uneasy   and thats what brings them out of there comfort zone

good example is    Have you ever been in a bad state of mind (or mood)?   and come across someone who is to happy  a lil to smiley     God Knows i have    but when your in a great mood  have you noticed how some people seem not to like your shiney disposition    I have also done that as well

misery loves company

and so does   the man giving the advice       so without further ado  i say to you  GOD bless and have a great day to all thanks
1973 honda cb750 and learning
New Castle indiana

765 524 7573 call/text day or night
pstockton@hotmail.com
skype; ferroussphinx/paul stockton
these are the ways to get a hold of me so  do it if you want to

Re: Loud pipe ban?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmol26qMTxY&feature=related