Metal in the Oil Pan

mamalo65
Hello Gentlemen,

I am sorry to have been gone so long. Really long story.

I went to change my oil and get her ready to ride for the year and found metal shavings in my oil pan on my 78 750K.

I just wanted to check with you guys before I went stupid, sad and started to see $$$$. The shavings are shiny and their is a to me quite a bit to me. Never had them before.

Serious issue??

Any ideas? Complete rebuild best or something else. I have not rode it in some time (2 or 3 months).

I have really missed ya'll thanks so much for your time.

Hope all of you are doing great.

Mamalo

Re: Metal in the Oil Pan

Hey mamalo65 was wondering about, you the other day. I have been told it is common to find small metal shavings in the SOHC CB engines. as long as they are smaller then a dime, don't worry about them. I would suggest, you install a magnetic drain plug though.

Re: Metal in the Oil Pan

Metal shavings indicates severe wear, in most cases.  If you had the metal shavings analyzed, you could determine which part of the engine is wearing, based on the type of metal.  Oil analysis will determine this for you, at a cost of around $22-$30.

What type of oil, and how often do you change it?  I go for the best, for the least amount of cash, out of pocket:  Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 (labeled as "Synthetic", but actually just a highly refined dino oil, which acts like a full synthetic, good for 10,000 miles between changes), around $5.50/quart, or $21/gallon, at Wal-Mart, Mills Fleet Farm, etc.  Even if you go with the Super-Tech brand (meets API standards, will not void a new car warranty, so, yes, it is safe to use), from Wal-Mart, as long as you change it every 3,000 miles (with a new filter...), you won't have wear issues caused by degraded oil.  If you are paranoid, go with the least expensive oil (Super-Tech 10W-40, around $3(?)/quart), changed out every 1,500 miles (with a new filter...).

Whatever oil you choose, be sure to change it more often, if the metal bits continue.  Always change out the filter with every oil change...  The filter will capture the metal bits, but at 72 PSI, I would want them removed as often as possible, to avoid compromising my filter.  Cheers!

Re: Metal in the Oil Pan

Smaller than a dime?!I think being dime sized takes it from being a shaving to being a chunk. What did I miss?

Re: Metal in the Oil Pan

Honda's, and Fords, can digest steel. Chevy's must have a soft diet.

Re: Metal in the Oil Pan

They hold their metalI've broke 'em all,truth be told.Well,not a Honda.Hope I never do!

Re: Metal in the Oil Pan

Lucky 1
Need photos.
On a Roadstar Adventure.