Need Help, please! Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs

Need Help, please! Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs

MHluv2ride
This post was updated on .
We are rebuilding the carbs and once we disassembled and began cleaning, felt gaskets came out of the brass fittings on the sides of the carburetors....please help. are these important, can they be replaced with rubber? I found nothing in the manual or the carb rebuild manual i got from this site.

Re: Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs

Piute

     This is a Holley double pumper Right
     Bud were going to need year, type of carb,stock,were at(felt gasket),
                                     Got pic's thats best

The carbs are the stock keihin carbs off a 1981 cb750k. Here is a picture, there are a couple on each side of #2 and #3 carb. #1 and #4 have them only on the side facing in and the outer ends are capped where they would be. I'm confused....hope this makes sense.

Re: Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs

Piute

   O.K. I checked with the master (my cuzz Paul)Mechanic,
    He said felt gasket are used around pivoting area's like rods that go into brass bushing to keep dirt and dust out,I don't know but thinking that that is hole were rod goes thru to connect all your carb choke thingy ,were as the out side carbs is were plugs are,So find a hardware store ask for felt gasket for size needed, Best info I can get and I'm no grease monkey...

this is it. They are not shown in the manual on the list of parts. One tore when I removed it, can they be still ordered?

Re: Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs

Piute
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1981-honda-750-custom-cb750c/o/m151804?a=5#sch19275

Re: Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs

seestheday
Mine didn't have felt seals there.  I have the same bike/carbs.

No need as that is the choke plate rail (assuming I'm looking at the pic right).  Felt seals could help keep dust out if you ride in dusty areas or dirt roads a lot.

That said, having them shouldn't hurt anything.  Getting some generic ones if you want should work fine.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs

Johnnylevi
I think that's the throttle side not the choke...all the same though I'm not so sure the felt washers will make or break these carbs.
1981 SS with Kerker 4-1 exhaust and extremely attractive rider.

Re: Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs

RodneyCB750K1979
I ran across the same issue during my rebuild. Parts diagrams didn't show these felt critters. I was concerned any leakage at the throttle shaft seals could lean my mixture like any vacuum leak would. I took one throttle plate apart and reassembled using a thick grease stick.  In the picture, the choke shaft bearing/seal appears to be held in place with a few punch marks. The throttle shaft seal at the bottom is hidden by the lever.

Re: Need Help, please! Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs

MHluv2ride
Thanks guys, you helped a lot. I will hit the local hardware store to see if they have anything like what i pulled out.

One more question: On one of the carbs (not #2) there was a screw missing on the bowl, who knows for how long, which caused a lot of corrosion. On this particular carb, the primary main jet is stuck. I read that it can be much worse to try and get it out if it is stuck, any tips/ tricks you can fill me in on?

Thanks all!

Re: Need Help, please! Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs

seestheday
Soak that jet with pb blaster or something similar.

Sent from my BlackBerry device

Thanks guys, you helped a lot. I will hit the local hardware store to see if they have anything like what i pulled out.

One more question: On one of the carbs (not #2) there was a screw missing on the bowl, who knows for how long, which caused a lot of corrosion. On this particular carb, the primary main jet is stuck. I read that it can be much worse to try and get it out if it is stuck, any tips/ tricks you can fill me in on?

Thanks all!

To unsubscribe from Need Help, please! Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs, click here.
NAML

My cb750 video site

Re: Need Help, please! Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs

RodneyCB750K1979
The jet really needs to come out. I assume you're going to replace it.  It looks like you might be able to grab it with vice grips.

Re: Need Help, please! Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs

MHluv2ride
Well, maybe it's not the jet. It is not at the surface of the hole. What I am talking about is inside and requires a small screwdriver, to be remove. You can see the tip on the underside of were the three tubes are.

*sorry if this makes no sense, I am learning part names and components slowly as a go.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Need Help, please! Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs

seestheday
I think you mean the emulsion tube.

Have you read the MacGregor carb cleaning manual?
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: Felt gasket in brass fittings on the side of the carbs

Lucky 1
These seals keep vacuum from leaking (air) and prevents the idle from going up. Very important.
On a Roadstar Adventure.