New member here, Carb tuning pros? I could use your help..thanks

New member here, Carb tuning pros? I could use your help..thanks

rm56-2
Hello, I am the second owner of a 74 CB 750 K4. The bike was neglected by its original owner. He bought it 5 days after I graduated from high school on June 20th 1974. At this time it has 17,361 miles on it. I estimate that I have about $3,000 into it. The OEM exhaust alone were just over $1,000. If you are rebuilding/ restoring a 750 try David Silver Spares in England or cmsnl.com out of the Netherlands. Once it warms up it runs like gangbusters and pulls like a locomotive. Here is my delema, I rebuilt the carbs using Keyster kits. I have heard from other on line boards that many aftermarket carb kits are crap. When I go to startup it is extremly hard to start and keep running. It kind of acts like its not getting fuel. I had a problem before with rust in the tank. I have completely cleaned the carbs and used KBS coating inside the tank. It is like Kreem but much better. It won't destroy fresh paint unlike the others and works great. It seems like the idle circuit is not dialed in properly and the mixture screws may not be adjusted right. Any carb or tuning pros out there? Thanks for help in advance. And here are some pictures of my old horse.

Rick M
Lincoln, CA

Re: New member here, Carb tuning pros? I could use your help..thanks

gthong
nice piece of machinery!!!!

I am not a carb wizard and will not pretend to be... just wanted to say what a nice bike you have.

these multiple carb bike confound me to tears!!!!   I pray my cbx never gums up.. that's way I try to ride it more than the others...

Re: New member here, Carb tuning pros? I could use your help..thanks

sbc1320
Good looking bike. I rebuilt my 76 with Keyster kits and afterwards mine ran like crap. Knew it had to be the needles, so I put the stock needles back in and it ran just like it did originally. Originally it ran good, but it had a flat spot in the throttle right around cruising speed (50-55 mph) where it would just kind of sputter. Never missed out and would run good if throttled on. After verifying that the Keyster needles were the culprit, I then took the needles back out again and put the clip back in the Honda default position in the middle groove. My bike runs so much better and crisper now than ever before. I am suspecting that the previous owner moved the needles about 15 years back when they installed the 4-1 header. My bike was running very rich before, but its so much better now. I also jetted it back to the 105 factory jetting since I have my baffle in. If I can get the baffle out, I will probably put the 110's back in there and try it. As far as cold cranking mine, I give it about a 1/4 throttle and with the choke on then crank it. They will have to warm up a bit to idle correctly as the motor is not efficient until it gets to operating temps, especially with the aluminum head. When it is really cold (30-40* outside), I leave the ignition off and choke the bike with the throttle open again about a 1/4 throttle and kick start about 3 times, then I turn the ignition on and kick one more time and she will fire right up. I can also use the electric start if I want to. Mine has a throttle lock lever (aftermarket) and I use it to hold the throttle around 2000 rpms to warm it up. I usually feel the engine cases by the generator to verify its warmed up before revving it up very high. Didn't mean to right a book, but I hope this helps you. Again you have a great looking bike and good luck with it.

Re: New member here, Carb tuning pros? I could use your help..thanks

rm56-2
Thanks, It looks ok for its age but if you get up close you see some wear spots. I still need to have some of the crome pieces redone. The instrument housings, both fenders, handlebars and back grab bar. I also have a new clutch and springs waiting to go in and fork seals. I had a local shop do the paint last summer in Imperial Orange. Its close the the Honda Kandy Sunrise Orange but its actually a Volvo color! Today I finally adjusted the valves and it runs quite a bit better. It warmed up nice and had better response. Took a look at the plugs and they look very good, not fouled at all. I can't remeber what size the Keyster jets were I put in. I should have checked them with the recommended stock sizes. I am planning on rejetting my Kawasaki triple up on the mains. Its supposed to have 75's stock and its running 70.5's. I frequent another board for Kawas and when I looked at the 75 main jets that came with the Keyster kit, against ones I already have the sizes are wrong! The 75s seem smaller than the 70.5 that are in it? I will visit a local Kawasaki dealer who has parts and take in a spare carb body to make sure the jets are right. I'm thinking of putting in 35 pilots and 80 or 85 mains. Right now the pilots are 25s and it has no low end at all. What part of the world are you from? Thanks for the compliment on my 74 and have a good one.

RM

Re: New member here, Carb tuning pros? I could use your help..thanks

sbc1320
Sounds like you have it together pretty good. I am from the Houston, Texas area. I have the 1976 K model that I posted for sale. Just selling to put together 383 small block chevy for the street-strip. My last project was an excellent 71 Nova that I built a 406 sbc and it was my only car for about 6 years. I would put the tires on it and drive to Houston Raceway Park and the car would run some 11.60's in the 1/4 mile. I got some new AFR heads and all the top end so far, now I need to buy a rotating assembly then I will pick up a block. My bike is for sale for $3000.00 and it has around $1500 in recent parts including tires, chain, sprockets, rebuilt carbs, m. cylinder, caliper, brakes, etc.. Mine runs excellent and the original paint is not faded and is in very good condition. I bought mine from the original owner's grandson. Should be a picture on down the board. Can send a picture if anyone is interested. Only needs a rider and can ride anywhere.

Re: New member here, Carb tuning pros? I could use your help..thanks

rayzor74
Great looking bike, I have his twin brother!!! What brand and color of paint did you use on the engine cases? Thanks. Rayzor

Re: New member here, Carb tuning pros? I could use your help..thanks

rm56-2
The cases are not painted, there polished with emery compound, then tripoli, then finished with white rouge jewelers polish. I also own a 72 CT 70 mini trail, that has Honda cloud silver on its cases which is the OEM color. I did not do that paint but Donnie at Vintage Honda Paints can hook you up. He has all the old Kandy colors and is quick to get back to you.  I had considered HOK but there customer service is a joke. They never answered multiple questions, so I took my $$ else where.

rm

thanks.
I have a 71 CT70 Mini-trail as well. I painted the wheels and side covers for the engine with Dupli-color wheel paint. It looks great. I will take your advice on the 750. It is in excellent shape but needs some touch up.

Re: New member here, Carb tuning pros? I could use your help..thanks

rm56-2
Honda engine cases were painted cloud silver which you can find or get close. But my 74 had sat outside for years and had scratches and corrosion everywhere. I used to be a machinist so I enjoy buffing out the natural aluminum cases. I think painting makes them run hotter, just my 2 cents. I also did my forks. The last 1100 Suzuki I owned I polished the cases and that big square swing arm and pipe mounts. Every time I rode it to the store guys would stop and admire the shine. Crome looks great, but have you ever had to repair crome? A pain. Polishing can take time and elbow grease but in the end...awsome. I have a Kawasaki 500 triple that got dumped on the left side so the cases on that are going to get polished as well. Most folks use a grinder with the muslin wheels, I use my old Makita plugin drill so I can get up close and personal to the bike.
Good luck with selling your 750 and sounds like you build some cool cars.

Rick

Re: New member here, Carb tuning pros? I could use your help..thanks

rayzor74
I have used a ton of steel wool on mine too. Guess I will continue with some of your suggested products. The tank paint and side covers are in excellent shape and were painted Kandy Orange about 4 years ago. I have them for fun. I am not trying to sell them. Rode the 750 last night as a matter of fact. They are a bear to warm up as I saw in your earlier comments but after a few minutes it will idle forerver. Those carbs are cantankerous!!