Newbie question….

MarkPBG
I see a lot of ads for people selling early model GS 750's. What's the difference between the CB and GS models? Is one more desirable than others? (generally, I know that's a subjective question.) Thanks all!
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: Newbie question….

GS?As in a Suzuki?

Re: Newbie question….

shinyribs wrote
GS?As in a Suzuki?
From a man with a GS 750 tank on his CB 750.

Re: Newbie question….

I know,iknow...hey,im just trying to have the best of both worlds.You gotta remember,i have only been in the wide world of motorcycles for about 3 months now

Re: Newbie question….

As far as I know, GS was a Suzuki product line.

My father had a 1980 GS850, and a 1981 GS1100.  Suzuki made superb bikes, back in the early 80's -- based on my riding experiences.  The 1980 GS850 had phenominal suspension, which really kept the wheel in contact with the road, while keeping the seat level, and smooth.  Saw one on CL last year.  If money were nothing to me, I would have it in my garage, waiting for a ride.

The GS1100 was a scream machine.  It had tremendous power, acceleration -- but it was top-heavy, with a full tank of gas.  It was quite clumsy in town, but superb on the highway, at speed.  When the tach hit 7,000 RPM, you had better be hanging on, as it becomes possessed:  it growls in a way that was a little frightening, and it takes off like a bullet.  I downshifted to pass a car on a 3-mile straight stretch...  Mistake.  The engine hit its power band, and shot forward like a rocket.  I was keeping it on the road by watching the ditches with my peripheral vision -- my head was jerked back, and I was holding on by my fingertips!  It scared Hell clean out of me.  I slowly closed the throttle, and eased my head forward so I could see again.  The car I passed wasn't even a spec in the mirror, by the time I saw the mirrors again.

My Dad was a Suzuki man.  Me, I like any of the three Japanese makers.  I have had excellent experiences with all three maker's bikes.  Harley's hold no interest for me, as I cannot tolerate the vibration.  Likewise, nearly all V-twins are a turn off for me, but that is just my personal preference.  Give me an inline four any day...

Cheers!

Re: Newbie question….

"I like any of the three Japanese makers."  I thought there were four big Japanese brands?

Re: Newbie question….

MarkPBG
LOL, most of the posts didn't say Suzuki...I didn't notice, that's what they were all right.
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: Newbie question….

MarkPBG
I know what you mean. I think Suzuki makes their power bands like that on purpose! I had a '99 Katana 600 and as long as you were just puttering around, it was docile enough. Once the revs hit 8 grand, the front end would come off the ground! It felt like the horsepower tripled! Way fun though. :)
BTW, I learned that on that particular bike, it needs 3 lanes to take a sweeping turn at 130 MPH. Ah, youth and fearlessness (stupidity) fearlessness...whatever.
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: Newbie question….

Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki...  Duh!  And Kawasaki -- I've owned two, currently own one of their best ever...  Brain fart.  Oops!  Pass me another beer, Bartender!  It's a shame what beer-deprival will do to an otherwise sound mind...

Re: Newbie question….

Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki...  Duh!  And Kawasaki -- I've owned two, currently own one of their best ever...  Brain fart.  Oops!  Pass me another beer, Bartender!  It's a shame what beer-deprival will do to an otherwise sound mind...

If, you come over to the Toolshed we can do something about that. The fridge is full.

Re: Newbie question….

Sarge just made me want a Suzuki                       very much badly

Re: Newbie question….

Just think, for about a grand the Old Bomb would become boring

Re: Newbie question….

....i dont wanna think about it anymore....