Newbie with "new" bike - checking in

DarkFlame
Went to the bike graveyard last night. For $200, we got what we think is an '82. It's a Honda 750 Four. The title, which we will pick up when we get the bike & pay, today, will tell us everything.

Without pics, it didn't happen, so here's a pic:

The undertaker said the bike runs but has "something noisy" in the bottom end. He is also throwing in a newer/cleaner looking engine that has a good bottom end but "a little something wrong" in the top end. So, April should be able to piece together a good engine from all that.

I found a shop manual in the manuals section here, so that will be an enormous help.

Any hints or tips will be GREATLY appreciated.
David
San Antonio

Re: Newbie with "new" bike - checking in

Well before you start tearing into the engine, ger er cleaned up and the carbs cleaned good, you need to do that anways!
From there, put in some oil like rotella t 15-40. It is a good diesel oil and also does good in bikes.
Adjust the cam chain and valves per manual and see if it starts. You may mind the "noise" is not there. And if that is the case, you got a spare engine with which to mod and hop up.

Welcome aboard to our little site and I hope we can answer the questions you may have

Re: Newbie with "new" bike - checking in

DarkFlame
Undertaker said the bike ran just a few days ago, but sounded bad.  He said it should start up, but it didn't have enough juice.

We're going to top off the oil, give her a bit of gas, and try jumper cables to see if she'll start and run long enough to driver her from the trailer on the street to the back patio.  If we can do that, we'll be ecstatic!

Also, officially, it's a 1980 CB 700 F - but I'm pretty sure it was mfg'd in '79 because the VIN isn't long enough for the ones made starting in 1980.
David
San Antonio

Re: Newbie with "new" bike - checking in

Well does he know the condition of the oil? If not, it could have water or fuel in it or even be the wrong oil that is too thin. Make sure he knows what the oil condition was before assuming. I am not saying he does not know what he is talking about but it is better to be sure.
Your vin should say what year it is for sure. It could be an 80 that was made late 79. My 78 was made in 12/77.

Re: Newbie with "new" bike - checking in

DarkFlame
Update:

Oil was topped off, didn't need any, and it looked pretty good - not that that's an indicator of anything but at least it didn't need the oil filled or changed immediately.  Not like we're driving it anywhere, but it would have been nice to drive it from the front curb to the back patio, instead of pushing it.  But, it pushed ok.

The battery was pretty close to dead.  The positive terminal was badly corroded, so we wire brushed all that stuff off & put it back together.  It did seem to help crank a bit better.  But, it still didn't start.

We jumped it from the car, and it turned over nicely.  But, it still wouldn't start.

So, it's either fuel, ignition, or compression, and April is going to figure it out!
David
San Antonio