Paint

Hoko
Hey can we have a discussion about primer,paint, powder coat, rust treatment, surface prep, what products to use and what ones not to use, good books to get on this subject, what methods to use to get the best looking longest lasting finish on our bikes?  I know next to nothing about this stuff and my bike needs it.
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: Paint

Sandpaper, and Rustoleum flat black.

Re: Paint

if its aluminum -polish it. If not-do what Tools said  This Piute and Hellbilly's territory.

Re: Paint

Hoko
TOOLS1 wrote
Sandpaper, and Rustoleum flat black.
TOOLS
Thank you O great paint Guru for that pearl of great wisdom.
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: Paint

Piute
http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Piute-putt-1977-CB-750-F2-td3196204i460.html
                                ALL THESE ARE IN THE BUILD SOME WERE's(how and when posted)
 about half way down on page 23 I think,but get ever thing from Wally world (wall-mart) Rustolium brand,all in car stuff near bondo and fiberglass stuff,Go by the labels READ all for cur ,Your p[aint will last till your ready to change ,2-3 coats of clear , wet sand 2-3 mo coats ,then your flat blk. on top,you can't clear flat.O.K.,plenty of wax ,like once a week at 1st month after cur ,then 1's a month,There's painting though-out my build,

Re: Paint

seestheday
For what it's worth, I've found some decent painting info on other general motorcycle forums, e.g: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=voteavg
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: Paint

Hoko
seestheday wrote
For what it's worth, I've found some decent painting info on other general motorcycle forums, e.g: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=voteavg
Wow thats some pretty wild stuff and cool.  THX for that link.  Gonna take me a while to get through that page!
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: Paint

Hoko
THX Piute, nice job on those tanks, how many bikes do you have?
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: Paint

Piute

   I have 3 bikes, but all those pictures are the same bike in my build,HEY I'm a painter and building a portfolio,Like to do a lot of local bartering at rallies and with people I meet .I do it cause I like to paint.
 My 77 KZ 750 B in Wisconsin,87 FXR anniversary in Cal. N this 77 F2.

                                                   This was stolen in Dec. "09"

Re: Paint

Hoko
Man that was a nice Harley, sorry to hear you lost it.  Which did you like better, your Harley or your Honda's?
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: Paint

Lucky 1
To treat steel for rust use phosphoric acid (paint prep),many other names.
Phosphoric acid turns iron oxide(rust) into iron phosphate (inert),stops the rusting process.

Good paint is no longer sold in spray cans. It is NOT fuel proof.
One drop of gas on your paint job and your paint is ruined.

You can buy two part epoxy clear paint though in a spray can to put over your paint. Duplicolor paint is compatible with the two part clear paint in a spray can.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Paint

  There 2 totally different type of bikes ,reason i always had a smaller bike along with a larger H.D.,have a 77 kz with this 1. After owning different bikes I thought hey I deserve a new bike ,custom ordered to my taste,So I did it .Bike was great 1st year lots of miles then found out that at between 30k n up that the cam chain tensioner will wear out ,JUNK 30K bike just breaking In,Bike was stolen with just over 50K ,So maybe they did me a favor,part and labor would have been about 600 bucks,400 if done self ($ mostly special tools).Owed 11,000$$ more bike was valued at 7,000.$(25,000 total + interest)H.D. trys to keep up with B.M.W. N Honda but can't cause they don't put the money/time into making it right before putting into production.Sure they fix after but at your cost.

Re: Paint

Lucky 1 wrote
To treat steel for rust use phosphoric acid (paint prep),many other names.
Phosphoric acid turns iron oxide(rust) into iron phosphate (inert),stops the rusting process.

Good paint is no longer sold in spray cans. It is NOT fuel proof.
One drop of gas on your paint job and your paint is ruined.

You can buy two part epoxy clear paint though in a spray can to put over your paint. Duplicolor paint is compatible with the two part clear paint in a spray can.
       Not so Lucky is right to a point,, Never has any of my tanks that I've paint with the type and way I paint with a spray can ever gotten ruined by gas,
                        THIS PIC IS WERE GAS LEAKS ON MY TANK all the time

  i wipe with what ever window cleaner there at pump,THX for reminding me to put a coat of wax on,Like Iv'e said over and over 1st month 1s a wk then 1s a month after that (rubbing compound if you notice a build up of course)
                                                    Good aS NEW

   I like to do painting at rallys as said most just wont flame job,There is always somebody doing air brush work at the bigg 1s pretty cheap,and most them use water base paint then clear coat.Are we having fun yet

Re: Paint

Hoko
Lucky 1 wrote
To treat steel for rust use phosphoric acid (paint prep),many other names.
Phosphoric acid turns iron oxide(rust) into iron phosphate (inert),stops the rusting process.

Good paint is no longer sold in spray cans. It is NOT fuel proof.
One drop of gas on your paint job and your paint is ruined.

You can buy two part epoxy clear paint though in a spray can to put over your paint. Duplicolor paint is compatible with the two part clear paint in a spray can.
THX for those tips!
Is the phosphoric acid effective when you have pitted steel with rust in the pits?
The epoxy being 2 part means you spray one and then the other over it?
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: Paint

Hoko
Piute wrote
There 2 totally different type of bikes ,reason i always had a smaller bike along with a larger H.D.,have a 77 kz with this 1. After owning different bikes I thought hey I deserve a new bike ,custom ordered to my taste,So I did it .Bike was great 1st year lots of miles then found out that at between 30k n up that the cam chain tensioner will wear out ,JUNK 30K bike just breaking In,Bike was stolen with just over 50K ,So maybe they did me a favor,part and labor would have been about 600 bucks,400 if done self ($ mostly special tools).Owed 11,000$$ more bike was valued at 7,000.$(25,000 total + interest)H.D. trys to keep up with B.M.W. N Honda but can't cause they don't put the money/time into making it right before putting into production.Sure they fix after but at your cost.
Wow, those HD's are expensive!  I had no idea, never priced them.  Well I definately will never buy that bike.  Thats valuable information.  I have never really been a hog fan but I do like and have always liked and wanted a sportster so someday I probably will research which of the older sportsters were better and buy one and rebuild it.
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX