Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

monsterbronc
about 5 years ago I recieved my dads 1975 cb750k5 as a gift, he hadnt riden it in 10+ years, and it sat in my backyard for 5. I cleaned the gunk out of the carbs, kreemed the tank, cleaned the jellied fluid out of the front brakes, replaced the tires, changed the oil, and got it registered, believe it or not, it runs decent, (rough idle, carbs out of sync) Im going to ride it as frequently as possible, (my round trip commute is 70 miles)
it looks like it just rolled out of 1975, it has the Vetter windjammer 3 ferring with matching stripe, a cool triangular sissy bar with luggage rack thats got neat little chrome curly-q,s in it, a set of lighted chrome wraped Bates saddle bags, big ole engine guard, highwa pegs, Tripple A running boards, and a homebuilt heel-toe shifter.

the only changes Ive made are a inline fuel fiter,an H4 headlamp assembly out of an 81 suzuki, and a modulated tail/brakelight. My future plans include, custom diamond plate side covers (the stock ones are a total loss), removeable 20mm ammo can saddle bags, LED lights, fog lights, re-apolster the seat, and whatever other odd 70"s kitch I can throw at it. other than that, I plan to keep it pretty much stock, Im not choppin up the frame or anything, I might change forks or something later down the road, but I think it rides nice (not that I have anything to compare it too)

Ive riden it to work already , but I need a new windshield, its scratched up and at night it lights up like a xmas tree it oncoming headlamps

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

sgtslag
Sounds like a fun project...  Pictures?

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

Yea pictures. I love ammo cans I have a set of Triple A running boards with the forward controls made into them. I have been debating about putting them on the TOOLmatic. I was surprised to find out how popular, and valuable they are. I have been offered over $200.00 for them.
On the windshield. I would cut it down, so that you can look over it. It will still deflect the wind, and bugs. Plus give you a few more MPGs.

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

monsterbronc
My dad swears it got 70 MPG on the highway, but Ill believe it when I see it.

Im trying to get a photo uploaded, but my dialups not cooperating.

I like the runningboard things, I have the lower sections of the ferring, but they must have never been installed, because they wont fit over the engine guard without mods, and you cant reach the petcock.

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

monsterbronc
Ok, Here it goes, lets see if the ole dileup works.............

[IMG]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m73/monsterbronc/Hondacb750.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

monsterbronc
that didnt work quite like I expected, lets try again.............

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

Thats a nice looking old bike. Super cool having the original 4 into 4 exhaust. those need to be put into a Museum. Those are the same Triple A floor boards I have, and I have that same seat, for the Toolmatic. i put it on when going on long rides. Your butt just kind of melts into it. However I prefer the stock seat for everyday riding.
I kind of doubt the 70 MPG, With the Vetter you should get 35 to 40 MPG. The Vetter will cost you 5 MPG.

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

sgtslag
Nice!  My '79 averages 43 MPG, at 55 MPH, riding two-up, fully loaded (see below), and I have a Windjammer, with lowers.  70 MPG sounds too good to be true.  My little 440 gets around 50 MPG, with a QuickSilver fairing.  I believe the average MPG for 750's is around 40-45.  I wanted to get a King/Queen seat for my 750, but I couldn't find one, so I had my OEM redone.  The guy who did the work didn't really get the King/Queen concept, but what he did is comfortable, and it looks really nice.  Your bike looks like it is set up very nicely for traveling.

Believe it, or not, you can tour, two up, on a 750.  My wife and I rode ours around Lake Superior, in 2009.  Our total mileage was 1,935, over nine days.  It was not as comfortable as our Voyager, but at the time, the 750 was what we had.  We loaded both soft saddlebags, the trunk, the fairing pockets, and a tank bag.  She was loaded down, but the old girl handled that trip like it was nothing.

The Honda 750's were fantastic bikes.  I am prepping mine to sell, unfortunately.  With our Voyager, we hardly ride it anymore.  Now I just need to find someone who will appreciate it as much as I have.  Cheers!

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

mamalo65
Very nice bike. I looks very clean.

Mamalo

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

monsterbronc
Yup, So far Ive gotten 40 MPG, but I just went down one size in the rear tire, so Im not sure how thats going to effect it, now at cruising speed my tach  reads 5200 and it was 5000. Not sure what speed it actually is, the speedo says 70, but I was in a 60 MPH zone and people are still passing, but Im keeping up with the big rigs so At a guess its 65ish.

My parents used to cruise all over on it, mostly yellowstone and out west. back in those days they rode the bike with the rest of their group, and I was it the Chaser car with My aunt. but I was far too young to remember it. Ironnically, I own it too, Its a 1970 ford Maverick 2 door. I do however remember being the coolest kid in 1st grade, because I was the only kid to get dropped off on the back of this same bike.

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

Very cool story. Now if you have kid's you are going to have to pick them up from School, so they will be cool
I have been thinking about installing my Triple A floorboards, and was wondering if you would post some close up pictures of them, and their mounting?

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

monsterbronc
sure, but ill warn you, I dont get online too much, so it might be a few days, and my dialup sucks so I have problems uploading pics sometimes. Ill try to remember.  mine have a u shaped bracket to the frame and they mount to it with pins, so its hinged upward when you lean too far into a turn. (guess how I figured that out) and the heel toe shifter is a each end of the left one, and I got a BIG ole car style brake pedal in front of the right. I guess I need to charge the camera...............

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

Cool. I have the same set, but just can not figure out the mounting. I tried to install them once, but could not get them to fit up right. I am wondering if it is because mine is a Hondamatic.

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

Nice ride! One thing, CHANGE THE TIRES! Tires that old, if you have not changed them, are very dangerous. Hard and little traction. The size you would want are 120/90 -18 and 100/90-19. You can got to 130/90-18 and 110/90-19 but some people report slower cornering.

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

monsterbronc
I changed them, the front was toast, so it got changed b4 I even rode it. but the rear was fine. or so I thought, I found the rear brake locked up very easy, so the rear was swapped out too. now Ive got Kenda K761 enduros, they are super-sticky, and cheap, and kinda knobby, but they wear fast. Id rather have the extra traction and have to buy cheaper tires more often though. the rears only $55 and fronts run about $45. beats the heak out of $115 a peice.

TOOLS
I havent forgotten you, Ill get the pics, Im just uber busy right now. they should fit a Hondamatic, unless the frame is different?

Re: Parked 15+years but it runs, My first bike.

toytuff
Just love it! Good on you for keeping it!

Never sell it!

tt